Hinshaw's Civil Rights and Constitutional Litigation Practice is home to former U.S. Attorneys, Assistant U.S. Attorneys, state prosecutors, and legal counsel to state and local agencies. Additionally, several Hinshaw attorneys currently serve as special civil litigation counsel to state attorney's general and local prosecutors in defending civil rights and tort claims brought against governmental entities, departments and officers. In addition to our many legal skills in this area, we are also active in our local communities and statewide organizations. We therefore in many cases know the key governmental decision makers involved in the matters affecting our clients, which adds much value for our clients.
We regularly appear in state and federal court, as well as administrative tribunals, such as the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and state departments of human rights. In doing so, we represent businesses, professionals and other individuals, and state and local public bodies and officials who are defendants in claims involving alleged violations brought under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and other federal and state civil rights statutes.
We also provide legal assistance to business entities and individuals in diverse regulatory matters. This includes representing parties in professional licensing and disciplinary actions and appearing before boards and commissions that regulate gaming, health care, insurance, transportation, and intrastate and interstate commerce.
Finally, we counsel governmental entities and universities as outside counsel involving: air and ground transportation, data retention practices, employee discipline, freedom of information, open meetings, public contracting (awarding and bidding of contracts), records retention and telecommunications, among many other issues.
- Wednesday, May 11 | 11:00 a.m. PST | 1:00 p.m. CST | 2:00 p.m. EST
- Wednesday, October 13, 2021 | 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Central
- November 11, 2014
- September 24, 2014
- Hinshaw Partner Vincent Rizzo Named to 2022 Chicago Daily Law Bulletin 40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to WatchNovember 3, 2022
- Hinshaw Announces Selection of Vincent Rizzo and Jessica Turner to 2022 Fellowship Class and Pathfinder Program of the Leadership Council on Legal DiversityMarch 23, 2022
- Hinshaw Partner Gretchen Harris Sperry Named to Crain’s Chicago Business’ 2021 Notable Gen X LeadersNovember 22, 2021
- Hinshaw Partner Adam Guetzow Named to Chicago Daily Law Bulletin's 40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 to WatchSeptember 14, 2021
- August 9, 2021
- July 28, 2020