Vincent Rizzo is an Illinois and California licensed attorney, representing private and public entities in litigation involving employment disputes, tort defense, and constitutional violations. His clients include Fortune 500 companies, school districts, and other state and local governmental entities. He has extensive experience litigating Title VII, Section 1983, ADA, FMLA, personal injury, and property damage claims, including successfully trying numerous civil jury trials to defense verdict and obtaining multiple summary judgments.
Vincent provides trainings to a number of entities regarding workplace compliance and best practices. He further advises employers and employees on all aspects of the employment relationship—including employee misconduct and other disciplinary matters—spanning from hire through termination. He also regularly conducts internal investigations of entities for alleged violations of the whistleblower statute, harassment, discrimination and retaliation.
Vincent is also an active member of the legal community and zealous advocate for LGBTQ+ rights. A committed member of Hinshaw's LGBTQ affinity group, he helped the firm obtain a 100% rating in the Corporate Equality Index from the Human Rights Campaign. He also holds various other firm leadership positions, including faculty for Hinshaw University, a member of the Associate Interviewing Committee, and a member of the Mentoring Committee.
Before joining Hinshaw, Vincent was an Assistant Corporation Counsel for the City of Chicago Department of Law. While there, he represented the City of Chicago and its employees in state and federal litigation involving civil rights violations, municipal prosecutions, and appeals.
During law school, Vincent was a public interest law intern for the Chicago Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights. He also interned for the general counsel of Accident Fund Insurance Company. In addition to his academic accomplishments, Vincent was a teaching assistant for "Legal Research, Writing and Advocacy," "Torts," and "Street Law." Vincent was also an active member of his law school's International Law Review.
- American Bar Association
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Issues Network, Co-Chair
- Changing Worlds
- Board of Directors
- Chicago Bar Association
- Cook County Bar Association
- LGBTQ Section, Co-President
- Lambda Legal
- Leadership Council
- Lesbian and Gay Bar Association of Chicago
- Executive Board, Secretary
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), Fellow, 2022
Honors & Awards
- Recognized on the Rising Stars list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2023
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Commercial Litigation, 2022 – 2023; Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2022 – 2023
- Named to the "40 Under Forty - Illinois Attorneys to Watch" list by Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer Magazine, 2022
- Recognized as a "Notable LGBTQ Executive" by Crain's Chicago Business, 2021
- Obtained defense jury verdicts in multiple civil rights discrimination cases. Plaintiffs sought in excess of $2 million in damages. Jury returned verdicts of not guilty.
- Secured judgment as a matter of law during a jury trial in a civil rights discrimination case.
- Obtained multiple summary judgments in Title VII, ADA, and Section 1983 civil rights discrimination cases.
- Negotiated favorably low settlement on behalf of client in a wrongful death case.
- Successfully defended Fortune 500 company in numerous personal injury cases alleging in excess of $1 million in damages for negligence and premises liability.
- Counseled Fortune 500 company in the hospitality industry on workplace compliance and best practices by updating all policies and procedures and providing training to all employees.
- Obtained summary judgment reversal on behalf of client in high-profile, complex appeal in front of the Seventh Circuit.
- Successfully resolved high-profile bullying case brought under Section 1983 and ADA for school district.
- Received hundreds of favorable judgments at administrative hearings in matters relating to the public health, safety, and welfare.
- Co-Presenter, "Legal Jeopardy," Illinois Association of School Personnel Administrators Annual Conference, Lisle, Illinois, January 27, 2023
- "LGBTQ+ Issues in the Workplace," Real Time with IPELRA podcast, November 13, 2022
- Presenter, "LGBTQ+ Issues in the Workplace," Annual Training Conference, Illinois Public Employer Labor Relations Association (IPELRA), Galena, Illinois, October 24, 2022
- Co-Moderator, "LGBTQ+ Employment Law Roundup," Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, CLE Webinar, June 28, 2022
- Co-Presenter, "Navigating the Changing Landscape of Law Enforcement Liability," Munich Re Specialty Insurance, Webinar, May 17, 2022
- Panelist, "Advancing LGBTQIA+ Diversity & Inclusion in the Law," CLE hosted by the Women's Bar Association of Illinois (WBAI) Diversity Committee, Virtual Event, March 29, 2022
Co-Presenter, “Legal Hot Topics,” Illinois Association of School Personnel Administrators (IASPA) Fifteenth Annual Conference, Lisle, Illinois, January 21, 2022
Co-Presenter, “Supporting LGBTQ+ Employees,” Illinois Association of School Personnel Administrators (IASPA) Fifteenth Annual Conference, Lisle, Illinois, January 21, 2022
- Co-Presenter, “A Practical Guide to Navigating the Open Meetings Act,” Illinois Association of School Administrators Legal Workshops, Virtual Event, December 9, 2021
- Co-Moderator, “LGBTQ+ Youth and Bullying: Understanding Issues and Addressing Solutions,” National Stop Bullying Day Event, Hinshaw and LAGBAC Webinar, October 13, 2021
- Panelist, "A Comprehensive Look at Privacy Issues Affecting LGBTQ+ Employees," 2021 Lavender Law® Conference and Career Fair, Webinar, July 12, 2021
- Panelist, "LGBTQ+ Employment Law Roundup," CLE Program by Hinshaw and the LGBTQ+ Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, Virtual Event, June 23, 2021
- Panelist, "Coming Out in the Workplace Seminar," Chicago Bar Association, Chicago, Illinois, December 2, 2020
- Host, "World AIDS Day: A Conversation with Author Rebecca Makkai," Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Chicago, Illinois, December 1, 2020
- Moderator, "National Coming Out Day: A View from the Trenches Panel Discussion," CLE hosted by Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Virtual Event, October 7, 2020
- Speaker, "Workplace Civility & Inclusion," Chicago Federal Executive Board, September 24, 2020
- "LGBTQ+ Issues in the Workplace: Legal Obligations and Best Practices," CLE hosted by Hinshaw's LGBTQ Affinity Group, Chicago, Illinois, June 18, 2020
- Host, "Transgender Day of Remembrance with Jill Rose-Quinn," Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Chicago, Illinois, November 20, 2019
- Panelist, "Bringing Your Authentic Self to Work: A Generational Perspective," CLE hosted by Hinshaw's LGBTQ Affinity Group, Chicago, Illinois, October 9, 2019
- Panelist, "A Comprehensive Look at Transgender Equality in the Workplace" 2019 Lavender Law® Conference and Career Fair, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, August 7, 2019
- "Can LGBTQ People Have their Cake and Eat it, Too? What the Supreme Court REALLY said," CLE hosted by Hinshaw's LGBTQ Affinity Group, Chicago, Illinois, June 28, 2018
- "Recent Supreme Court Decisions Affecting First Amendment," CLE hosted by Regina Dominican Law Society, Chicago, Illinois, June 18, 2018
- Host, "The Lavender Bench: Experiences of LGBTQ Judges in Illinois," Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Chicago, Illinois, March 8, 2018
- "Overview of Laws Concerning Animals in Film Media," Animal Legal & Historical Center, June 2012
- Vincent Rizzo Discusses LGBTQ+ Issues in the Workplace Along With Title VII Compliance on IPELRA PodcastNovember 23, 2022
- Hinshaw Partner Vincent Rizzo Named to 2022 Chicago Daily Law Bulletin 40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to WatchNovember 3, 2022
- Eighty-Seven Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2023 Editions of Best Lawyers in America and Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022Two Lawyers Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Hinshaw Announces Selection of Vincent Rizzo and Jessica Turner to 2022 Fellowship Class and Pathfinder Program of the Leadership Council on Legal DiversityMarch 23, 2022
- August 19, 2021Five Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- August 9, 2021
- January 4, 2021
- Vincent Rizzo Addresses Potential Impact for Employers Following Landmark Ruling on LGBTQ Rights from SCOTUSJuly 1, 2020
- CFPB Issues Interpretive Rule Prohibiting Discrimination on the Basis of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
Employment Law Observer
- Biden Administration Executive Order Underlines Benefits of an LGBTQ Anti-Harassment Training ProgramFebruary 4, 2021Insights for Employers
- Chicago Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights, Pro Bono Volunteer
- Heartland Alliance, Volunteer
- Judicial Evaluation Committee, Evaluator
- Lawline, Civil Rights Litigation, Faculty Member
- Name Change Project, Pro Bono Volunteer
J.D., magna cum laude, Michigan State University College of Law, 2013
B.A., magna cum laude, Bradley University, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar