Danielle Mikhail defends clients in government, civil rights, and constitutional litigation. She rigorously advocates for her clients and helps to mitigate the stress involved in the litigation process.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Danielle served for four years as an Assistant State’s Attorney of Cook County in the Civil Actions Bureau, Civil Rights and Torts Unit, where she defended Cook County employees and governmental entities against individual claims, class actions, and Seventh Circuit Appeals involving allegations of Section 1983 civil rights and constitutional law violations. She also defended clients against Illinois state law claims concerning allegations of personal injury, premises liability, and wrongful death.
While in law school, Danielle served as a clerk in the Special Prosecutions Bureau and the Civil Actions Bureau of the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office. Having obtained her 711 license, Danielle successfully conducted several bench trials in the Seniors & Persons with Disabilities Unit and the Traffic Unit. Danielle also assisted in motion practice and court appearances in the Conflicts Unit. At the beginning of her law school experience, Danielle was fortunate to serve as a judicial extern for the Honorable Matthew F. Kennelly in the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division.
Honors & Awards
- Chicago-Kent College of Law at Illinois Institute of Technology
- CALI Award for Highest Grade, Compliance in Financial Institutions
- Dean's List
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of the Cook County Sheriff in a wrongful death jury trial involving allegations of neglect of a jail detainee. The plaintiff sought over $2.3 million in damages.
- Successfully defended against motion for class certification in a high-profile class-action lawsuit involving allegations of constitutional violations at the Juvenile Temporary Detention Center.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice on seven different lawsuits alleging constitutional violations at the Cook County Jail in a single motion to dismiss based upon fraud on the Court.
- Successfully defended appeal on behalf of numerous medical professionals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit involving allegations of constitutional violations at the Cook County Jail.
- Obtained multiple summary judgments in Section 1983 civil rights cases involving allegations of constitutional violations at the Cook County Jail.
- Obtained summary judgment in a motor vehicle accident suit involving three separate parties and a counterclaim.
- Obtained prosecution verdict in a petition for Court Order of Detention and Examination involving a mentally ill individual at risk of serious physical harm to themselves or others.
- Co-Presenter, "Discovery and Motions to Compel," CLE, Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, Civil Actions Bureau, February 27, 2019
J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law at Illinois Institute of Technology, 2017
B.A., English, Hope College, 2013