Hinshaw's Gaming Practice attorneys help entities and individuals throughout the industry address their regulatory compliance responsibilities, successfully handle litigation, and develop business and commercial transactions to further their business goals.
Our team includes a former member of the Illinois Gaming Board, a former Administrator of the Illinois Gaming Board, former state prosecutors, and corporate and transactional lawyers. As a result, we have both an intimate familiarity with the gaming industry, as well the breadth of experience essential to effectively handle the range of legal challenges facing clients such as:
- Casino, hotel and video gaming owners and operators
- Governmental entities
We are in an era of rapidly expanding opportunities for the gaming industry, but one in which the legal landscape is becoming increasingly layered and complex. It is therefore critical to be able to spot and quickly, but properly, capitalize upon development, financing and organizational opportunities. Our multidisciplinary Gaming Practice attorneys help gaming clients with a wide range of transactional activities in this regard, such as:
- Banking and finance
- Regulatory compliance
- Corporate structure and governance
- Gaming manufacturing and distribution
- Governmental relations
- Labor and employment
- Intellectual property and technology
- Contract drafting and negotiation
- Environmental law
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Real estate endeavors, including acquisitions and dispositions, construction, development and approvals, financing, leasing and zoning
- Vetting selection of vendors
Licensing and Regulatory
Failing to properly navigate the labyrinth of state and federal gaming regulations can lead to adverse legal consequences, wrecked projects and lost revenues. We represent gaming clients before governmental entities and regularly counsel on issues such as licensing and allegations of regulatory violations. Working as necessary with Hinshaw attorneys who are skilled in a wide range of practice areas, our Gaming Practice lawyers also counsel clients on risk management efforts. We focus on ensuring effective regulatory compliance and foundational planning designed to promote broader business goals. Following are some of the matters as to which we routinely assist:
- Gaming licenses
- Internal investigations
- Internal training
- Key-employee licensure
- Liquor licenses
- Regulatory compliance programs and internal controls
Our Gaming Practice lawyers also represent clients in litigation. Where necessary to better provide effective and efficient legal counsel addressing particular areas of law, they can call upon the assistance of other members of our team of more than 300 litigators, who are highly experienced across a wide range of disciplines. We consequently approach gaming-related disputes with an appreciation for the broad contexts in which they occur and tailor our advocacy accordingly.
- September 23, 2022
- Eighty-Seven Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2023 Editions of Best Lawyers in America and Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022Two Lawyers Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- November 4, 2021
- August 19, 2021Five Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- November 5, 2020
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"