Justin Penn focuses his practice in litigation with particular emphasis on professional liability litigation, including consumer litigation and legal malpractice defense. He has also been involved in labor and employment law in both litigation and arbitration practice.
Mr. Penn is experienced in many aspects of trial practice, including consumer class action defense for claims under the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act. He has handled hundreds of consumer litigation matters under many statutes, including the FDCPA, the FCRA (and FACTA), the TCPA, TILA, state consumer fraud statutes and the False Claims Act. Mr. Penn has also handled a wide variety of legal malpractice matters, including cases involving an attorney’s liability to non-clients. In addition, Mr. Penn has experience in complex litigation defending hospitals, corporations and religious organizations. He has defended cases in jurisdictions across the country.
Mr. Penn joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP as a law clerk and became an associate in August 2004. He served as a summer associate with the Chicago law firm of Bollinger, Ruberry & Garvey. Was a Judicial extern for the Honorable Wayne Anderson, United States District Judge for the Northern District of Illinois.
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Penn spent three years as a travel director for INTRAV, Inc. in St. Louis, Missouri. Additionally, he worked for NBC Sports in production support for live, televised sporting events around the world, including University of Notre Dame football, the French Open tennis championships and The Championships at Wimbledon.
While at Notre Dame, Mr. Penn was on the Dean’s List for six semesters, was a peer tutor and participated in the University’s London Program.
"Defend or Settle: It Shouldn’t Be a Roll of the Dice," The National Creditors Bar Association, 2016 Fall Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 28, 2016.
"The Continuing Evolution of the TCPA," Lorman Education Services, webinar, July 2016.
- "Licensing Requirements and Their Implication on Collection Attorneys," Defense Bar Education Session, NARCA 2014 Fall Collection Conference, October 2014.
- "New Technology and the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act," Lorman Education Services, audio conference, February 2012.
- "The Ethics of Getting Paid," West LegalEdcenter, live webcast, March 2010.
- Frequent speaker on issues such as the 2010 amendments to the Illinois Rules of Professional Conduct, an attorney’s liability to non-clients and the challenges of multi-jurisdictional practice.
- "Attorney Liability to Adversaries and Other Third Parties," co-authored, chapter 4, Attorneys' Legal Liability, 2014 edition.
- February 19, 2018
- April 1, 2015
- October 13, 2014
- Terrence McAvoy and Justin Penn Co-Author IICLE Article on "Attorney Liability to Adversaries and Other Third Parties"August 8, 2012
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
- March 6, 2012
- May 5, 2011
- April 7, 2011
- March 1, 2010
- February 1, 2010
- January 4, 2010
- Hospice House in South Bend, Indiana, Past Volunteer
- Notre Dame, Peer Tutor
J.D., cum laude, The John Marshall Law School, 2004
- Dean's Scholarship; Herzog Moot Court
B.A., cum laude, Human Resource Management and Theology, University of Notre Dame, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin