Emilia Rubin advises financial services clients regarding compliance with state and federal laws. She counsels clients in various areas, including mortgage lending, automotive finance, student loans, and other consumer lending and collections activities. She also represents financial service clients in civil investigations and lawsuits brought by state and federal agencies.
Emilia has a wide range of experience in civil litigation, regulatory investigations, and regulatory compliance. Prior to joining Hinshaw, Emilia practiced law at a boutique law firm in California, where she litigated civil disputes and represented clients in investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Emilia began her legal career at a San Francisco-based FinTech company. She advised the business on regulatory compliance related to complex securities, consumer protection, and licensing, led the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering programs, and assisted with internal and external audits.
During law school, Emilia interned at the SEC Office of Compliance, Inspections, and Examinations, assisting with the inspections of registered investment advisors. Emilia also served as editor-in-chief of the Hastings Science & Technology Law Journal.
Honors & Awards
- University of California, Hastings College of Law
- CALI Award in Consumer Finance & Bankruptcy
- CALI Award in Corporate Finance
- CALI Award in Mergers & Acquisitions
- Latin Honors (cum laude)
- CFPB Revises the Supervisory Appeals Process for Financial Institutions Akeela M. White, Emilia Rubin, Vaishali S. Rao
- A World Without Chevron? U.S. Supreme Court Hears Oral Arguments in Cases that Could Overturn 40-Year-Old Doctrine of Statutory Interpretation Vaishali S. Rao, Akeela M. White, Emilia Rubin
- Louisiana Private Education Lender Registration Added to the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System and Registry Emilia Rubin, Bonnie E. Dye
- California Licensed Debt Collectors Required to Submit Annual Reports to DFPI by March 15, 2024 Emilia Rubin, Bonnie E. Dye
- A Circuit Split Emerges on the Constitutionality of the CFPB's Funding Structure, Months Before the Issue Comes Before the U.S. Supreme Court Emilia Rubin, Vaishali S. Rao
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
J.D., cum laude, University of California Hastings Law, 2019
B.S., Environmental Studies and Political Science, University of California at Santa Barbara, 2015