Carly E. Shannon represents clients in a broad range of civil litigation matters. In addition to handling government-related affairs on behalf of corporate clients and providing strategic legal counsel on regulatory and compliance issues, she has extensive experience in healthcare litigation defending physicians, hospitals, and other medical providers facing malpractice allegations.
Carly handles all aspects of complex civil litigation, from which she has gained substantial experience drafting and arguing motions, taking and defending depositions, conducting expert discovery, and presenting witnesses at trial. Carly also maintains an active appellate practice, representing clients in both state and federal appellate courts.
Before joining Hinshaw, Carly practiced with two other firms in Chicago where, with a particular focus on medical liability, she continued to advance her skillset in the courtroom throughout all phases of litigation, including at trial.
While in law school, Carly served as a teaching assistant for first year legal writing students. She also clerked for the corporate counsel of a global financial markets company, where she worked on a broad range of regulatory and compliance matters, as well as enterprise risk management.
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Illinois Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, 2021 – 2023
- Recognized on the Rising Stars list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2020 – 2022
- Co-Presenter, "Not-So-Apparent: Managing the Risks of Apparent Agency," ISMIE, Webinar, November 16, 2022
- Eighty-Seven Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2023 Editions of Best Lawyers in America and Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022Two Lawyers Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- August 19, 2021Five Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 2017
B.A., Clemson University, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois