Michael Henrick is an experienced trial lawyer, with a practice focused on issues involving personal injury, professional liability, wrongful death and health care.
Mr. Henrick joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in September 1974. In 2003, he was inducted as a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers.
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Society of Law and Medicine
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Illinois Association of Hospital Attorneys
- Illinois State Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Jefferson American Inn of Court
- Lake County Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Trial Lawyers Club of Chicago
- Society of Trial Lawyers
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by his peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in the areas of Medical Malpractice Defense Law and Personal Injury Defense Law: General
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2005 – 2020
- In 2012, Mr. Henrick obtained a defense verdict for a Lake County hospital and its named nursing personnel in the death of a twin at birth. Plaintiff asked the jury for $7 Million. The trial lasted 3 weeks.
- In 2012, Mr. Henrick obtained a defense verdict for a orthopedic surgeon accused of making improper sexual advances to a female patient.
- In 2011, Mr. Henrick obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an internist who was alleged to have failed to diagnose a myocardial infarction when treating a patient in his office leading to his death two days later. The trial of that case lasted 1 1/2 weeks.
- In 2011, Mr. Henrick obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a pain management physician after his patient had fallen from a procedure table in the process of an epidural. The co-defendant hospital was held liable on a $750,000 award.
Mr. Henrick has spoken on a variety of legal topics before client and firm groups, including:
- “Jury Selection,” in-house presentation, Medical Malpractice Specialty Group meeting, Chicago, Illinois, November 2009.
- “Examination and Cross-Examination of Expert Witnesses,” Hinshaw’s Trial Advocacy Program, Chicago, Illinois, April 2008.
- “Surgical and Anesthesia Claims,” Illinois Providers Trust, Naperville, Illinois, June 2007.
- “Attorney Training & Orientation Program,” Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Chicago, Illinois, April 2002.
- “Examination and Treatment for Emergency Medical Conditions and Women in Labor Act and Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act,” Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company, Oak Brook, Illinois, March 2002.
- “Risk Management for the Eye MD and Its Impact on the Patient,” Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company, Oak Brook, Illinois, March 2001.
- “Communication Techniques for the Management of Adverse Outcomes,” Illinois Provider Trust, Libertyville, Illinois, October 2000.
- “Successfully Maneuvering the Legal Rapids,” Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company, Nationwide Audio conference, June 2000.
- “Legal Issues,” Association of Operating Room Nurses of Southeastern Wisconsin, October 1991.
- “From Subpoena to Trial: How Will You Perform?” Condell Memorial Hospital Nursing Personnel, March 1991.
- “Loss of Society in Death Cases: Raising the Stakes,” Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, What It Means To Be A Lake County Litigant, Waukegan, Illinois, June 1991.
J.D., The John Marshall Law School, 1974, with honors
B.S., Loyola University of Chicago, 1971
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin