J. Ryan Head is a litigator who defends businesses, design and construction professionals, developers and real estate professionals, contractors, and insurance companies. He concentrates on matters relating to construction defect claims, catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death, premises liability, product liability, and insurance coverage disputes.
He has served as counsel in multiple cases and counsels and negotiates settlements on behalf of clients, always coordinating closely with claims representatives and the insureds to ensure favorable outcomes. Ryan also has considerable experience in all aspects of arbitration and mediation.
Before joining Hinshaw, Ryan performed workers’ compensation lien protection through civil litigation for many large entities, including the City of Chicago.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Kentucky State Bar Association
Ryan serves as counsel in a wide range of matters. A selection of his cases are as follows:
- Successfully represented a regional subcontractor in an alleged negligent condition claim.
- Awarded summary judgment on behalf of a general contractor client in a construction negligence action.
- Successfully defended a masonry subcontractor in a construction injury case.
Personal Injury Matters
- Represented major insurance companies in uninsured/underinsured motorists matters, successfully settling matters for significantly lower than the plaintiff’s demand at arbitration on multiple occasions.
- Successfully defended a regional subcontractor through mediation in a personal injury matter, obtaining a settlement value much lower than the plaintiff’s demand.
Ryan is originally from Lexington, Kentucky, and his interests include playing golf, University of Kentucky basketball, the Chicago Cubs, traveling, classic rock music, and spending time with his dog Goose. Ryan is the oldest of four children, and his younger siblings are triplets, which has always made life adventurous.