Caroline Mondschean focuses her practice in professional liability litigation and appellate work, including the defense of attorneys, trustees, accountants and other professionals.
Ms. Mondschean has more than 20 years of jury trial, litigation and client advisory experience including representing law firms and lawyers on litigation avoidance and lawsuits arising out of a myriad of underlying practices, including tax, trust, intellectual property, corporate transactions, personal injury and domestic relations. Ms. Mondschean has extensive professional liability experience, successfully resolving lawsuits involving legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary claims brought against lawyers and trustees, accountants, brokers and other financial malpractice claims.
Ms. Mondschean joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in 1989. She has been a member of Hinshaw’s Lawyers for the Profession® practice group since joining the firm.
- Chicago Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Member of the Leading Lawyers Network and has been selected by her peers as a Leading Lawyer in the area of Professional Malpractice Defense Law: Including Legal/Technical/Financial
A representative list of her published decisions limiting the scope of civil liability of attorneys and other professionals in Illinois includes:
- Advanced Multilevel Concepts, Inc. v. Sterling et al, 2012 WL 6091395 (N.D. IL 2012)
- Kiferbaum v. Tressler, et al., (Ill. Appellate Court First Dist. 2010, No. 1-09-1430)
- Burrell v. Chicago Housing Authority, 2006 WL 1343204 (2006)
- Burrell v. Chicago Housing Authority, 2005 WL 2007155 (2005)
- Doyle’s Construction & Remodeling, Inc. v. Wendy’s Int’l, Inc., 144 F. Supp. 2d 969, (2001)
- Touhy v. Northern Trust Bank, 1999 U.S. LEXIS 7967 (May 14, 1999)
- Sarno v. Akkeron, 292 Ill.App.3d 80, 684 N.E.2d 1154 (1st Dist. 1997)
- Adams v. Sussman, 292 Ill.App.3d 30, 684 N.E.2d 935 (1st Dist. 1997), appeal denied, 175 Ill.2d 523, 689 N.E.2d 1137 (1998)
- Havoco of America, Ltd. v. Freeman, 58 F.3d 303 (7th Cir. 1995)
- Majumdar v. Lurie, 274 Ill.App.3d 267, 653 N.E.2d 915 (1st Dist. 1995)
- Sharpenter v. Lynch, 233 Ill.App.3d 319, 599 N.E.2d 464 (2d Dist. 1992)
- Ores v. Kennedy, 218 Ill.App.3d 866, 578 N.E.2d 1139 (1st Dist. 1991), appeal allowed, 142 Ill.2d 656, 584 N.E.2d 131 (1991)
Ms. Mondschean has lectured before many legal and healthcare professionals on professional liability, medical malpractice and defense issues. Her presentations include:
- "Professional Responsibility Update," Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education - Professional Injury Practice Update, April 2014.
- "Social Network Media - Will you be my Facebook Friend?" West LegalEdcenter, live webcast, May 2013.
- “Update on Illinois Rules of Professional Conduct and Social Media and Legal Ethics,” in-house CLE presentation, Chuhak & Tecson, P.C., Chicago, Illinois, July 2011.
- “Ethics and Risk Management,” Chuhak & Tecson, P.C., Chicago, Illinois, May 2011.
- “Ethics for the North Suburban Lawyer,” North Suburban Bar Association, Skokie, Illinois, April 2011.
Lawyers for the Profession®
- May 3, 2018Lawyers for the Profession®
- Colorado Supreme Court Upholds the "Strict Privity Rule" When Interpreting Attorney-Client RelationshipApril 12, 2016Lawyers for the Profession®
Carrie lives in Chicago. She is an avid long distance cyclist and a huge Chicago White Sox fan.