SAGE's Regional Roundtable Series: A Dialogue on Chicago's LGBT Elder Housing Network
In celebration of National Honor Our Elders Day and Older Americans Month, Hinshaw is pleased to partner with SAGE and LeadingAge to co-sponsor "SAGE's Regional Roundtable Series 2021 – Communities of Strength: A Dialogue on Chicago's LGBT Elder Housing Network," on May 11 and 13, 2021.
These two-day, 90-minute forums will center on Chicago's local strategies to develop affirming housing, medical care, and aging services, followed by an opportunity to network with Chicago advocates and elders in the field through informal conversational sessions. Additional information on the panel presentations follows below.
The first forum on Tuesday, May 11 will explore the clinical issues facing LGBT elders, understanding how generational histories have impacted the psycho and social needs of LGBT elders today. Attendees will learn strategies to better serve LGBT elders, with a focus on:
- Education of clinical staff on unique elder needs in Chicago
- Critical updates to policies and procedures
- Regional resources for training and assessment programs
On Thursday, May 13, panelists will address the unique barriers LGBT elders face accessing housing, as well as innovative housing models and exciting planning happening on the ground in Chicago. Topics of discussion include:
- Economic, social, and medical backgrounds of Chicago's LGBT elders
- Barriers elders face in accessing safe, affirming, affordable housing
- Nuts and bolts necessary to develop affirming housing and provide solutions in the region
Who Should Attend
Anyone with an interest in developing affirmative housing, medical care, and aging services for Chicago's LGBT elder community.
Please contact Cheryl Winkowski for more information.