John Ryan's litigation practice includes defending his clients against a variety of state and federal statutory claims, especially those that allow for fee shifting. He litigates both individual claims and class actions in state and federal courts. Not only has John successfully argued cases to verdict for his clients—he has also defended cases at various appellate levels, in both state and federal courts.
John employs a cost-effective defense strategy in large exposure class actions, as well as in nominal personal injury claims. His creative legal arguments have allowed his clients to find a positive resolution at a variety of different court levels, including: the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, the Illinois Supreme Court and the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
John has successfully defended companies and attorneys in numerous class actions involving the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Illinois Collection Agency Act (ICAA), the Indiana Collection Agency Act, the Indiana Uniform Consumer Credit Code (IUCCC), the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act (ICFA) and the Indiana Deceptive Consumer Sales Act (IDCSA), as well as other common law and statutory claims. He has become a leading defense counsel in the collection industry for cases involving licensing issues. John has vigorously defended over 20 consumer class actions which were based upon the defendant allegedly needing, but not having, a license to collect under some state statute. He received several favorable opinions on this issue in both Illinois and Indiana. John convinced the Illinois Supreme Court to issue an opinion in favor of his client wherein the debtor argued that the judgment against him was void because the plaintiff did not have a license.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, John was both a summer associate and a clerk with the firm.
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Member
- ACA International, Member
- NARCA, Member
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as an "Emerging Leader" by Leading Lawyers Magazine in 2015
"The Supreme Court's Trilogy on Consumer Law - Gomez, Spokeo and Gillie - How Will These Opinions Affect Your Practice?," The National Creditors Bar Association, 2016 Fall Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 29, 2016
- "Extra Judicial Efforts to Regulate Attorney Debt Collection Harms the Profession, Clients and the Courts," Annual Consumer Financial Services Conference, Chicago, Illinois, September 16, 2016
- "The Ethical Implications on the Use of Technology," The Illinois Credit Union League's 39th Annual Attorneys' Conference, September 9, 2016.
- "The Continuing Evolution of the TCPA," Lorman Education Services, webinar, July 2016
- "Licensing Requirements and Their Implication on Collection Attorneys," Defense Bar Education Session, NARCA 2014 Fall Collection Conference, October 2014
John assisted in the research and editing of "The Class Action Fairness Act of 2005 – Navigating Through its Sea of Uncertainty, Parts I and II," which was authored by Hinshaw attorney, Steve Puiszis. It was published in For the Defense, Vol. 47, Nos. 10 and 11, Defense Research Institute, October and November 2005, and also in The John Marshall Law Review, Volume 40, Fall 2006, Number 1.
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly Reviews Recent Hinshaw Debt Buyer Victory at the Supreme Judicial CourtApril 30, 2018
- Major Win for Passive Debt Buyer as Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Rules the Company is not an Unlicensed Debt CollectorApril 16, 2018
- December 6, 2016
- April 1, 2015
- March 5, 2015
- July 1, 2013
- Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act Case Has Significant Impact On Consumer Class Actions John P. Ryan, Whitney S. Goldin
- Seventh Circuit Rules in Favor of a Debt Collector Regarding Steps to be taken in Compliance with the FDCPA and FCRA when a Debtor Disputes a Debt John P. Ryan, Louis J. Manetti Jr.
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
- January 20, 2016Consumer Financial Services Alert
- June 9, 2015
- March 23, 2015
- September 18, 2014
- June 23, 2014
- April 22, 2014
- July 12, 2013
- June 5, 2012
- February 28, 2012Corporate / Financial Institutions Alert
- March 1, 2011
- January 6, 2011
- October 4, 2010
J.D., cum laude, The John Marshall Law School, 2006
- Member, Moot Court Executive Board
B.B.A., St. Norbert College, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana