From health information privacy to fraud and abuse prevention, Hinshaw helps you stay within the lines.
Ask any executive, pharmacist or billing-department employee: health care is more highly regulated and scrutinized than virtually any industry. While most will agree that quality care, patient privacy, cost-efficiency and other standards are necessary, the complex web of health care laws and regulations can, at times confound even the most sophisticated health care companies.
The experienced regulatory lawyers of Hinshaw's health care team do more than cut the red tape. We help providers, insurers and other parties to understand the many state and federal requirements that govern their operations and to establish effective processes and systems to ensure compliance. When disputes with regulators or law enforcement officials arise, our experienced litigators rise to the occasion, helping clients cooperate with audits and investigations and, when necessary, defend their interests in court.
From structuring strategic transactions, to advising on scope of practice, licensure requirements, patient care, billing, data privacy, documentation and other day-to-day business operations, we help clients minimize risk and exposure to audits, investigations or regulatory challenges. We have significant experience assessing fraud and abuse and self-referral concerns, and regularly represent clients who have been investigated by or received a complaint from state licensing boards.
Among other activities likely to trigger fraud and abuse and other compliance issues, we assist clients with:
- Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, and the Ethics in Patient Referral Act matters
- Billing practices
- Clinical research, and trials
- Collections and payment disputes
- Environmental matters
- HIPAA privacy and security, and state data privacy laws
- Joint venture agreements
- Licensure, accreditation, and certification
- Medicare/Medicaid reimbursements
- Pharmacy regulatory compliance
- Physician compensation and financial arrangements
- Professional responsibility/liability
- Provider enrollment
- Provider/physician relationships
We have a successful record representing the interests of insurers and health care providers in litigation. We recognize that, in some cases, the breadth of our representation can give rise to potential conflicts of interest. We take great care to ensure that no such conflicts exist before agreeing to an engagement and take full advantage of our experience to represent all clients to our utmost ability.
- Hinshaw's Jason Winslow Will Present NBI Seminar on Common Electronic Medical Records Mistakes and Related Medical Malpractice RisksApril 9, 2019
- Robert Finley to Present "Medicare:Conditional Payment Claims" at the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance Training ProgramJune 22, 2016
- October 2, 2014
- Robert Finley to Present on Medicare Issues for the National Institute for Medicare & Medicaid Education ConferenceJune 26, 2014
- Michael Dowell to Present at the California Society for Healthcare Attorneys Annual Meeting & Spring SeminarApril 11, 2014
- August 7, 2013
- Adam Guetzow and Elizabeth Heredia Co-Author a Chapter in 2023 Edition of the "Long-Term Care Litigation" IICLE HandbookNovember 15, 2023
- November 21, 2022
- May 16, 2022
- April 30, 2019
- July 18, 2017
- February 15, 2017
- California Expands "No Pharmacist Left Alone" Pharmacy Staffing Requirements and Also Enacts New Safety MeasuresNovember 17, 2023
- OIG Advisory Opinion 22-08 Permits a Federally Qualified Health Center to Provide Smartphones to Patients to Promote Access to Telehealth and Social Isolation/Loneliness BenefitsMay 20, 2022
- January 11, 2022
- District Court in Missouri Blocks Implementation of CMS Emergency Regulation Mandating Workforce COVID-19 VaccinationsNovember 30, 2021 | Last Updated December 30, 2021
- FAQs: CMS Issues Emergency Regulation Mandating Workforce COVID-19 Vaccinations by Medicare/Medicaid-Certified Providers and SuppliersNovember 9, 2021
- New California Law Prohibits Chain Community Pharmacy Productivity Quotas for Pharmacists and Pharmacy TechniciansOctober 27, 2021