For more than 30 years, Stephen Moore has served as a trusted advisor to health care systems, hospitals, physician groups and surgery centers, as well as other health care providers. As a health care lawyer, he helps those in the healthcare industry navigate the myriad of complex healthcare laws and regulations by serving as a valued member of their team.
Steve counsels his clients on a variety of corporate, transactional and regulatory matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate organization and governance, tax exemption, Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute compliance, physician compensation, and physician integration strategies. His clients value his common sense approach to finding solutions that further support their business objectives.
Steve has held a number of leadership positions in the firm since joining in 1984. Currently, he is the leader of the firm's National Health Care Practice Group which serves the regulatory, transactional and litigation needs of all health care providers.
Early in his career in private practice, Steve represented entrepreneurs, closely held businesses, financial institutions, manufacturers and publicly traded companies in a variety of commercial litigation matters as well as in business formation, mergers and acquisitions, financings, contracts and commercial real estate transactions.
Following graduation from law school, Steve first served as an Assistant Attorney General of the Iowa Department of Justice, briefing and arguing over a dozen cases before the Iowa Supreme Court. He then served as law clerk to the Chief Justice of the Iowa Supreme Court.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys, Board of Directors, 1990 – 1993; Secretary/Treasurer, 1993
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Health Care Law, 2017 – 2022
- Recognized by his peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Health Law, 2003 – 2019
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2005 – 2019
- Selected as a "Top Rated Lawyer in Mergers & Acquisitions" by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a Catholic sponsored health care system in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of two separately licensed Catholic sponsored acute care hospitals and a licensed home health agency.
- Represented a Catholic sponsored health care system in acquiring from another Catholic sponsored health care system substantially all of the assets of a number of ambulatory free standing clinics and an urgent care center, and a licensed acute care hospital which ceased operations concurrently upon closing the transaction, followed by opening of a free standing emergency room located in the former hospital.
- Represented a hospital system in the acquisitions of substantially all of the assets of a Critical Access Hospital.
- Represented a hospital system in the acquisition of a community hospital through a change of control affiliation agreement.
- Represented hospitals in the acquisition of physician practices and physical therapy practices, and in the sale of nursing homes.
- Represented a behavioral health service provider in the acquisition of an outpatient counseling clinic.
- Represented a hospital system in the organization/syndication of joint ventures with independent surgeons of multi-specialty surgery centers,. in the merger of multi-specialty surgery centers, and in the organization of joint ventures with physicians of an imaging center and a sleep disorder clinic.
Health Care Transactions
- In two separate, unrelated transactions, represented not-for-profit hospital systems in joint ventures with a for-profit owner and operator of urgent care centers. In order to assure continued access to care and to improve operating efficiencies, in each transaction the parties organized a jointly owned entity which manages urgent care centers contributed to the joint venture by the parties.
- Represented a financially distressed Critical Access Hospital in exploration of potential affiliation options and its ongoing negotiations with bond holders, and in support of its successful efforts to achieve financial stability.
- Represented a hospital district in its conversion to a tax-exempt not-for-profit corporation, and in the financing and construction of a replacement Critical Access Hospital.
- Represented a multi-specialty group practice in the sale of all of the stock to a community hospital.
Steve has spoken at the annual meetings of the American Health Lawyers Association, the Annual Health Law Symposium of the Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys, the Illinois Critical Access Hospital Association, and the American Association for Clinical Chemistry, Inc.
He has also made presentations at conferences sponsored by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, and at several seminars attended by hospital governing boards, medical staffs, nursing staffs, and administrators. His other presentations include:
- "Good Governance," ICAHN Rural Health Fellowship 2021, Virtual Event, March 24, 2021
- "Top Ten Strategies to Build an Effective Board," Illinois Critical Access Hospital Network (ICAHN) Annual Conference, Champaign, Illinois, November 14, 2019
- "Hospital Board Responsibilities: Managing Risks," ICAHN Southeastern Governing Board Summit, Lawrenceville, Illinois, June 13, 2019
- "Medical Error Disclosure Programs: Legal and Ethical Issues," OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center Ethics Committee, December 2016
- "The Fair Housing Act and Recent Litigation Trends in Senior Living Facilities," Hinshaw's Breakfast Seminar Series, Rockford, Illinois, October 11, 2016
- Co-Author, "COVID-19 Triage Rules Raise Dilemmas For Health Providers," Law360, June 22, 2020
- Author, Chapter 1, "Inside the Minds: Navigating Health Care M&A Transactions," Orchestrating Successful Mergers and Acquisitions of Health Care Providers, July 2013
- August 19, 2021Five Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- August 4, 2021
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Steve Moore and Keti Mebuke Explore Legal and Ethical Challenges for Health Providers Adopt COVID-19 Triage ProtocolsJuly 24, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- Client Success: Bell Tower Residence Assisted Living Facility Transitioned to Wisconsin Illinois Senior Housing Inc. SponsorshipJune 3, 2019
- May 6, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- FAQs: CMS Issues Emergency Regulation Mandating Workforce COVID-19 Vaccinations by Medicare/Medicaid-Certified Providers and SuppliersNovember 9, 2021Health Care Alert
- Picking and Choosing COVID-19 Patients: Health Care Providers Face Ethical and Legal Dilemmas When Following State Triage GuidelinesJune 9, 2020Health Care Alert
- Practical Considerations for Hospitals and Ambulatory Surgery Centers Resuming Elective Surgical ServicesMay 8, 2020Health Care Alert
- Guidance for Medical Practitioners on the Resumption of Elective Surgeries and Expansion of Non-Coronavirus Service OfferingsMay 8, 2020Health Care Alert
- September 24, 2018Health Care Alert
- September 18, 2018
- OIG Report Indicates CMS Paid Practitioners for Telehealth Services that did not meet Medicare RequirementsMay 7, 2018
- Illinois Supreme Court Grants Petition to Appeal Ruling on Constitutionality of Illinois Hospitals’ Property Tax Exemption LawOctober 17, 2017Health Law Alert
- July 7, 2017Health Law Alert
- June 29, 2017Health Law Alert
- Illinois Supreme Court Declines to Rule on Constitutionality of Illinois Hospitals' Property Tax Exemption LawMarch 30, 2017Health Law Alert
- December 21, 2016
- June 23, 2016Health Law Alert
- June 22, 2016Health Law Alert
- June 20, 2016Health Law Alert
- May 20, 2016Health Law Alert
- November 23, 2015Health Law Alert
- November 12, 2015Health Law Alert
- January 26, 2015Health Law Alert
- June 14, 2012Health Law Alert
Steve's extensive community activities further reflect the health care emphasis of his legal practice.
- OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center
- Ethics Committee, Member
- Advisory Board, Honorary Member; Former President
- Internal Review Board, Former Member
- OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center Foundation Council, Former Board Member
- Finance Committee, Former Member
- Northern Illinois Hospice Association, Former Board Member
- Crusaders Health Foundation, Former President
- Rock River Valley Blood Center, Former Board Member
- Jeremiah Development, NFP, Former President
- River District Association, Former President
J.D., with honors, Drake University
B.S., Western Illinois University
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin