Peter Hernandez defends financial institutions in consumer financial services litigation in both state and federal courts. He assists with a full spectrum of banking matters—including those involving creditor's rights and real property—and works with clients to develop protocols and assure regulatory compliance. In addition, Peter advises his clients on complex commercial and residential mortgage foreclosure issues, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) regulations, Real Estate Owned (REO) asset management, and attachment proceedings.
As former Associate Counsel for a global credit card company, Peter has extensive experience handling pre-suit and arbitration demands as well as regulatory violation claims relating to the:
- Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act (FCCPA);
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA);
- Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA);
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA); and the
- Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA).
Before joining Hinshaw, Peter bolstered both his litigation and transactional experience at firms throughout Miami. Peter's background is also comprised of commercial and real estate transaction and finance knowledge. He has helped clients with everything from drafting contracts to reviewing abstract and title records, loan documents, closing documents, and issuing title policies.
During law school, Peter was involved in a number of organizations and extracurricular activities. He also served as the Staff Editor of the St. Thomas Law Review.
Honors & Awards
- St. Thomas University School of Law
- Book Award, "Civil Procedure I" and "Wills & Trusts"
- Dean's List
- Phi Delta Phi, Vice-Magister
- Florida International University
- Dean's List
As a Cuban American—born and raised in South Florida—Peter mostly enjoys spending time with his family appreciating the tropical weather and ocean. He met his wife in middle school, and now has two beautiful children that keep him on his toes. For pleasure, his family enjoys boating, sporting events, visiting the local zoo, and traveling.
J.D., cum laude, St. Thomas University School of Law, 2008
B.A., cum laude, Florida International University, 2006
- U.S. District Court for the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida