For nearly two decades, Schuyler Kraus has dedicated his practice to defending clients in a variety of consumer and class action matters. Armed with a wealth of experience and industry knowledge, Schuyler represents mortgage lenders, servicers and investors in state and federal actions alleging mortgage fraud, predatory lending, and violations of state and federal consumer protection statutes. He defends a variety of claims brought against his clients including those under the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) and Home Owners Equity Protection Act (HOEPA), as well as those under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Focusing on the intersection of regulation and litigation, Schuyler advises his clients on regulatory and compliance counseling matters, including complaints involving the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), as well as the State Attorney General's Office.
Schuyler's clients not only benefit from his deep knowledge of the procedures and practices of the state and federal courts throughout New York—including appellate matters—but also his commitment to integrate and leverage technology to provide them with cost-effective options from intake to resolution.
He also represents numerous corporations and insurance carriers—in first party and coverage disputes—in state and federal litigation. Schuyler's practice has also included advising and representing attorneys, judges and law firms in ethics, disciplinary, malpractice and risk management matters.
Schuyler has been active in the firm's management, serving terms on Hinshaw's Management Committee, the Executive Committee, and as Co-Chair of the firm's Consumer Financial Services Practice Group.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Schuyler was an associate in the New York office of an international firm based in Chicago, where he managed a Fortune 100 company's mass tort litigation in New York State. He also served for a decade as an Assistant Corporation Counsel in the New York City Law Department, Office of the Corporation Counsel, where he was assigned to the Bronx Family Court.
While in law school, Schuyler clerked at the Family Law Center in New York and the Manhattan District Attorney's Office. He was also a clerk at the United States Attorney's Office, Southern District of New York, where he worked in the White Collar Crime Unit.
Prior to his career as an attorney, Schuyler was Deputy Director of the County Court Victim/Witness Unit at the Boulder County District Attorney's Office in Boulder, Colorado. He served as liaison between district attorneys and the victims of violent crime with regard to all court proceedings.
- Westchester County Bar Association, Member
- Mortgage Bankers Association, Member
- Co-Presenter "Mortgage Servicing – Current Litigation Challenges – Hot Topics and Trends," CLE Program, September 2017
- Co-Presenter "What's Certain in Uncertain Times? Implications on Consumer Finance in Trump's First 173 Days," Hinshaw U, July 12, 2017
- "Basic Skills Program: Pleadings and Motions," Hinshaw U, October 18, 2016; October 27, 2015
- "Foreclosure: Emerging Issues, Servicing Regulations and HAMP," New York State Bar Association CLE Program, Albany, New York, October 2011
- "Lawyers at Risk: Liabilities Arising from the Foreclosure and Mortgage Litigation Crisis," West LegalEdcenter, Webinar, October 2011
- "Review of Recent Case Law on Attorney Accounts Stated Fee Claims," West LegalEdcenter, Webinar, June 2009
- May 18, 2016Appointments Serve to Re-Generate and Add to Diversity of Firm Leadership
- May 18, 2016
- January 24, 2013
- Cardozo Advocates for Battered Women at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Co-Founder and Co-President
J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University, 1999
B.A., University of Colorado at Boulder, 1994
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York