Gene Brown is well known as an exceptional trial lawyer, having successfully tried to verdict in excess of 125 jury trials. He has been lead counsel in actions from those venued in the Eastern District of Texas involving intellectual property, to the defense of product liability, toxic tort, complex commercial, and personal injury actions in every major judicial jurisdiction in California, including Alameda, San Francisco, Solano, Marin, San Mateo, Los Angeles, Ventura, and San Diego counties, as well in the U.S. District Courts of Northern, Central, and Southern California.
He has evaluated and successfully resolved innumerable actions pre-trial, in California and nationally, and has appeared before the California Supreme Court, and various courts of appeal throughout the State.
Gene is a Diplomate status Fellow of the American Board of Trial Advocates, past San Francisco chapter president, and recipient of that chapter's most prestigious award, the "Don E. Bailey Civility and Professionalism Award." He is a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the American College of Trial Lawyers, and the Ligation Counsel of America.
He has served as an expert witness in a variety of matters, and is a current and past faculty member in the ABA TIPS/ABOTA TRIAL ACADEMY conducted at the National Judicial College, Reno, Nevada, and the ABOTA National Trial College.
- American Bar Association
- Standing Committee for the TIPS Trial Academy
- National Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Alameda County Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV Preeminent® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- The International Society of Barristers, Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Diplomate; San Francisco Chapter, Past President; ABA/TIPS Trial Academy, Faculty; National Trial Academy, Faculty
- Recognized on the Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America list by Lawdragon, 2020 – 2023
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, 2015 – 2023
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" in San Francisco, 2022
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Northern California Super Lawyers magazine, 2004 – 2022
- Vinson v. Peralta Community College District, Alameda County Superior Court – Defense of sexual harassment
- Cortez v. Telecheck, International, Alameda County Superior Court – Age discrimination and wrongful termination
- Cropsey v. Ensign Montgomery et al., Sonoma County Superior Court – Disability discrimination and wrongful termination
- DSC v. Negrin, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas – Copyright infringement and patent defense
- Haskell v. Conoco Phillips Co., Contra Costa County Superior Court – Breach of contract
- Sacco v. TOSCO Corp. et. al., San Joaquin County Superior Court – Birth defects and chemical exposure
- Bulnes v. CalTrain, San Mateo County Superior Court – Rail-crossing resulting in wrongful death of a 16-year old
- Ledford v. General Motors Corporation, Los Angeles County Superior Court – Product liability defense of claimed exposure to deleterious friction products causing mesothelioma
- Gunderson v. Union Oil Company of California, San Francisco County Superior Court – Second-hand exposure to asbestos-containing products resulting in mesothelioma
- Advanced Pain Treatment Medical Center v. Mitre, Los Angeles County Superior Court – Alleged breach of contract-defense
- Ghadimi v. Munoz, Los Angeles County Superior Court – Alleged breach of contract-defense
- Pilliod v. Monsanto, Alameda County Superior Court – Product liability case alleging chemical exposure resulting in NHL defense
- Rier v. Sunoco, Alameda County Superior Court – Maritime action alleging exposure to petroleum products resulting in NHL defense
- Co-Presenter, "Opening Statements," American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) Foundation, Webinar, August 16, 2022
- January 13, 2023
- Litigation Daily Reports on Remarks from Eugene Brown Jr. Regarding Opening Statement Tactics for Defense AttorneysAugust 22, 2022
- Eighty-Seven Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2023 Editions of Best Lawyers in America and Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022Two Lawyers Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- August 19, 2021Five Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Gene Brown and Amee Mikacich Provide Trial Lawyer Practitioner Insights in "Masters in Trial™" ProgramNovember 18, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- August 15, 2018
J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, 1978
B.A., Criminology, University of California – Berkeley