New E-Book Primer Offers Insights into COVID-19 Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance Claims
The novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has impacted virtually all industries and sectors, including insurance. As the pandemic continues to spread, insurers are being inundated with COVID-19-related claims. To help insurers navigate these unprecedented times and challenges, Hinshaw's global Insurance Services Practice Group has authored an e-book titled, "Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance Primer On Coronavirus (COVID-19) Claims." The primer is Volume IV in Hinshaw's series of On the Law guides, which are prepared for legal and insurance professionals.
This primer provides an overview of some lines of coverage that will likely be impacted by COVID-19-related claims including:
- Commercial Property
- Directors & Officers Liability
- Fiduciary Liability
- Workers' Compensation and Employers' Liability
- Employment Practices Liability
- Commercial General Liability
- Professional Liability
- Event Cancellation Insurance
Throughout the primer, we provide examples of the types of claims that may be made under these lines of insurance and identify some key points and coverage issues that may be presented under these policy types. We also provide an overview of reinsurance issues and discuss issues raised by COVID-19-related coverage actions that have been filed by policyholders to date.
Please note, the Appendix includes the following articles which Hinshaw published previously:
- "The Legal Trends Behind 'Social Inflation' In Insurance," Law360, February 21, 2020
- "Tracking The Flurry Of COVID-19 Related Legislative & Regulatory Activity Impacting Insurers," Mealey's Litigation Report Catastrophic Loss, Vol. 15, No. 7, April 2020
- "Reinsurance Considerations Associated With The Coronavirus," Law360, April 9, 2020