Jill Eckhaus is a trial attorney who defends hospitals, physicians and physician groups, nurses, dentists, and chiropractors in medical negligence and catastrophic injury proceedings, including actions for wrongful death. In state and federal courts, she represents corporate and individual insureds in medical malpractice defense claims, professional negligence, products liability, premise liability, general liability, and personal injury matters. Jill also represents clients in the construction and security setting as part of her general liability and personal injury practice.
Jill handles all aspects of the litigation process and zealously advocates for her clients—a trait found in her days as a public defender—ensuring they are prepared for depositions and trial.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Jill practiced at several Chicago-based firms, including a multi-national defense litigation firm and a mid-size litigation defense law firm. Before embarking on her private practice, Jill was a senior public defender in the Felony Division of the DuPage County Public Defender's Office. During her tenure, she successfully served as first chair trial counsel in defense of multiple felony and misdemeanor jury trials, including seeing 54 trials to verdict.
- Chicago Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Section, Health & Hospital Law Committee, Co-Chair, 2018
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Healthcare Risk Management Society
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Illinois Defense Counsel (IDC)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
Most recently, Jill and her partner secured a not-guilty verdict for two nephrologists and a physician group in a $2.25 million medical negligence case.
J.D., University of Illinois Chicago School of Law (formerly The John Marshall Law School), 2008
B.A., Communications, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois