Pete Carlson has nearly 30 years of experience defending employers and their insurers in workers' compensation claims before the Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission and reviewing courts. He also handles commercial motor vehicle cases, labor and employment litigation, premises liability, construction litigation, and negotiates labor contracts.
Mr. Carlson also defends catastrophic bodily injury and severe property damage/fire loss cases, as well as premises liability, construction defect and accident litigation. In addition to litigating on behalf of his clients, Mr. Carlson also counsels and advises on contract negotiations and disputes, risk management and safety strategies, exposures and insurance programs, as well as the rules and requirements of Medicare with respect to claims and litigation.
Mr. Carlson’s clients include insurance companies, governmental entities, trucking and transportation companies, construction companies, manufacturers, service industry companies, financial institutions and self-insured entities.
He has tried many cases to verdict before juries, bench trials, and administrative law judges. Mr. Carlson has argued before the Illinois Appellate Court, and has represented clients in multiple jurisdictions.
Mr. Carlson joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in December 1995. He is a member of the firm's Transportation, Defense Litigation and Labor and Employment Practice Groups. Mr. Carlson is also a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
A selection of Mr. Carlson's presentations includes:
- "The Bermuda Triangle (ADA, FMLA, Workers' Compensation)" Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2012
- "Legal Aspects of Chronic Pain: The Disability Conundrum," Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, July 2010
- "Illinois Legal Update: Decisions and Trends," Great West Casualty, South Sioux City, Nebraska, April 2010
- "Tort Exposures and Trends," RIMS Real Estate Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, October 2003
- "Illinois Employment Update," Great West Casualty, South Sioux City, Nebraska, January 2003
- "Fit to Work," Worksteps Employment Seminar, Illinois, September 2002
Mr. Carlson co-authored "Illinois Disability," in Monograph's, IDC Quarterly®, Volume 18, Number 4, Fourth Quarter 2008
J.D., Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, 1991
- Kent Legal Scholar
B.A., Boston College, 1988
Saint Ignatius College Prep, 1984
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois