Pedro Hernandez focuses his practice in the areas of insurance coverage litigation, commercial litigation, intellectual property litigation, and construction litigation. In addition, he represents insurers in commercial class actions in multidistrict litigation courts throughout the country. Pedro has tried several cases through verdict.
He also litigates complex commercial matters, including disputes involving Fortune 100/500 companies.
Pedro joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in August 2007. Prior to joining Hinshaw, he worked for a construction law national firm. In addition to his practice, Pedro serves as a member of the firm's Mentoring Committee and Hinshaw's Hispanic Network.
- Cuban-American Bar Association
- Dade County Defense Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division
Honors & Awards
- Recognized on the Rising Stars list by Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2014 – 2020
Pedro practices throughout the United States, but focuses particularly in the Southeastern region. A sample of his cases/decisions includes:
Tarragon Stoneybrook Apartments, LLC v. Summit Contractors, Inc., et al, in the Circuit Court of the Ninth Judicial Circuit and for Orange County, Florida. Case Number 2006-CA-010888 (Div. 32-- Business Court) (vacated a $10 million dollar ($13 million dollars with interest) judgment against insured and national carrier)
Trovillion Construction & Development, Inc. v. Mid-Continent Casualty Company and Casa Jardin Condominium Association, Inc., 2014 WL 201678 (MD Florida, January 17, 2014) (no coverage for a $1.8 million consent judgment for failure to allocate)
Vintage Properties, Inc. et al., v. Mid-Continent Cas. Co., United States District Court, Middle District of Florida. Case No. 10-CV-80836-PAS (summary judgment on behalf of the carrier based on the pollution exclusion barring coverage for Chinese drywall damages)
Chinese Manufactured Drywall Products Liability Litigation (E.D. La. MDL No. 2047) (represented two major carriers in the litigation and in the $1 billion global settlement)
Hermitage Ins. Co. v. Jack L. Hamilton Constr., Inc., Twentieth Judicial Circuit, Lee County, Florida, Case No. 08-CA-023245 (motion to dismiss, with prejudice, in favor of the carrier based on designated work exclusion)
Mark Scherer, D.C., P.A., a/a/o Adrienne Gadson v. Bristol West, Palm Beach County Case No. 50-2006-SC-008811. (summary judgment on behalf of the carrier holding it properly exercised its right to cancel the policy for late payment despite the carrier’s history of prior reinstatements)
- Co-Presenter, "A Look at What's Driving Claims and Exposures in the U.S.," Hinshaw & RPC Joint Seminar, London, U.K., February 26, 2020
- "Hot Topics in Florida Insurance Coverage" ABA Section of Litigation Insurance, Coverage Litigation Committee, May 2013
- "Proving Covered Damages: Litigating Construction Defect Cases Following Pozzi Windows and Auchter," ABA Litigation Section Presentation, Coral Gables, Florida, May 2013
Pedro has authored, researched, and edited a number of publications, including:
- Co-Author, "The Legal Trends Behind 'Social Inflation' in Insurance," Law360 Expert Analysis, February 21, 2020
- "Florida Courts Rejecting Prejudice as a Matter of Law in Certain Late Notice Cases," Hinshaw Insurance Coverage Alert, July 26, 2011
- "Case Note: Rights and Accountability in Development (Raid) v. Das Air, Global Witness v. Afrimex: Small Steps Toward an Autonomous Transnational Legal System for the Regulation of Multinational Corporations," by Larry Catá Backer, Melbourne Journal of International Law, March 28, 2009;
- "Multinational Corporations as Objects and Sources of Transnational Regulation," 14 ILSA Journal of International & Comparative Law
- New Hinshaw Insurance Law Radio Episodes Review Bad Faith & Extracontractual Liability in the U.S., Impact of Social Inflation on InsurersMarch 20, 2020
- February 28, 2020
- July 1, 2013
- July 26, 2011Insurance Coverage Alert
Pedro performs a substantial amount of pro bono work for the South Florida community.
J.D., Pennsylvania State University, The Dickinson School of Law, 2006
B.A., History, Ramapo College of New Jersey, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle, Northern, and Southern Districts of Florida