Patrick Devine is an experienced trial attorney who focuses his practice in the areas of professional liability defense, business litigation, and commercial general liability defense, including construction claims. His professional liability practice has centered on the defense of physicians, attorneys, accountants, architects, realtors and insurance agents against malpractice and E&O claims. Patrick's business litigation practice has focused on commercial disputes and surety and fidelity claims.
In the course of his practice, Patrick has defended cases arising out of construction accidents and defects, trucking accidents, fire losses, hotel losses, theater losses, premises accidents, transportation incidents and other serious accidents. He also assists insurance clients with examinations under oath (EUO), special investigation unit (SIU) matters and first party and subrogation claims, as well as those involving allegations of bad faith and unfair claims practices.
Patrick's representative clients include the Indiana Department of Insurance, State Auto, State Farm, Acuity, CNA, Chubb, Federal, XL Insurance, Hanover, The Hartford, Those Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's, London, BoatUS and others. He has also represented the State of Indiana and other government entities and non-profit corporations.
Patrick joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in August 2005. Previously, he was a trial attorney with Eberhard & Gastineau, P.C., where he was recruited to open the firm's Mishawaka, Indiana, office in 2004. He was also a trial attorney for four years with the Law Offices of Citizens Insurance, where he was responsible for high exposure/excess cases, and was the recipient of their Citizens/Allmerica Exceptional Performance Award in 2001. During his tenure at Citizens' Mishawaka, Indiana office, Patrick had responsibility for supervising the office, including managing staff and mentoring junior attorneys.
- Lake County (Indiana) Bar Association
- Serves as a Lake County judge pro tempore
A selection of Patrick's representative matters are below. Click on the links to see him argue the respective case.
Patrick has lectured to students at Michiana Business College on the role of the paralegal in staff counsel. His other presentations include:
- "Law Firm Best Practices: A Legal Malpractice Defense Lawyer's Wish List," Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF), The Business of Law, seminar, Indianapolis, Indiana, December 12, 2017
- "The Three-Way Relationship Between Insurer, Insured and Assigned Counsel: Ethics and Malpractice Issues," WestLegalEdcenter, webinar, May 27, 2016
- "The Use of Expert and Skilled Lay Witnesses in Legal Malpractice Cases," West LegalEdcenter, webinar, March 31, 2015
- "Are Those Damages Really Recoverable?: A Discussion of Claims for Punitive, Emotional and Consequential Damages in Legal Malpractice," West LegalEdcenter, webinar, March 2014
- "Avoiding the Medicare Trap: Medicare Considerations and the Potential for Legal Malpractice Claims," webinar, West Publishing, April 2013
- "Discoverable Social Media and its Admissibility," in-house webinar, June 2012
- "Legal Ethics for Everyday Practice," National Business Institute, Merrillville, Indiana, November 2011
- "Personal Injury Settlements in Indiana: Practical Methods for Perfecting the Settlement of a Claim," National Business Institute, Indiana, 2002
Patricks's publications include:
- "Good Intentions/Problematic Application: The Medical Malpractice Doctrines of Loss of Chance and Increased Risk of Harm," Hinshaw's Medical Malpractice Newsletter, February 2009
- "Inadvertently Disclosed Information: Do I Have to Give it Back?" co-author, The LawyerCare Newsletter, Volume 9, Number 2, September 2008
Senior advisor to the Anna C. Gamble Charitable Foundation, a private charitable trust. Involved in assisting the trust with selecting recipients for charitable gifts.
J.D., with honor, DePaul University College of Law, 1996
- Member, Order of the Coif
- Recipient, CALI Award for Excellence in Advanced Trial Advocacy
B.S., Indiana University School of Business, 1992, Accounting
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana