Dennis Rolstad advises and defends insurance companies, fiduciaries, self-insured employers, and their vendors and consultants, in healthcare, ERISA and insurance litigation. This includes matters involving bad faith and coverage litigation, provider claims, welfare and pension benefits, fiduciary duties, and construction coverage and defects. He particularly represents and counsels payors and other insurers in all aspects of healthcare, life, accident, and disability matters, including claims involving health plan liability, healthcare service contracts, and health plan network disputes, and mental illness claims. Mr. Rolstad handles cases in state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout the United States including jury trials and all aspects of litigation, arbitration, and appellate proceedings. He also litigates class actions and other complex litigation, business suits, and various media and intellectual property matters.
In addition to his litigation work, Mr. Rolstad is a proponent of alternative dispute resolution and creatively resolves matters of all sizes.
Before joining Hinshaw, Mr. Rolstad practiced for fifteen years at the headquarters of an international firm in San Francisco.
While in law school, he was an extern for the Honorable William J. Rea of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
- Defense Research Institute, Member, 2002–Present
- California State Bar Association, Member, 1990–Present
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Member, 1996–Present
- Federal Bar Association, Member, 1998–Present
Mr. Rolstad makes frequent presentations on insurance, healthcare, ERISA, and construction topics to clients and industry professionals, including:
- Co-presenter, "Construction Defect Coverage," Client Presentation, July 1, 2014
- Co-presenter, "Protecting Yourself From Legal Problems: Audits, Lawsuits and Insurance Issues," National Center for Employee Ownership, Meeting on Fiduciary Issues for Internal ESOP Trustees, San Francisco, CA, June, 2009
- Contributing author, Managed Care Litigation, Second Edition, ABA Health Law Section, 2013-2017
- Co-editor for insurance chapters, California Practice Guide: Insurance Litigation, published by The Rutter Group (2008-2016)
- Co-author, "Supreme Court Decision: Metropolitan Life Ins. Co. v. Glenn, _ S.Ct. _, 2008 WL 2444796 (June 19, 2008) (U.S. Supreme Court Docket No. 06-923)," The Voice, Defense Research Institute (June 2008)
- January 9, 2018Six Attorneys Bolster Firm's Strength in ERISA and Healthcare Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Product Liability and Insurance Coverage
Raised in Alaska, Mr. Rolstad loves the outdoors, music, art, and time with family.
- St. Luke Presbyterian Church, Elder, Clerk of Session, Deacon, various years from 1999–Present
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, 1990
B.A., Stanford University, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California