Third Annual Hinshaw Sea Level Rise & Climate Change Conference: Digging for Sea Level Rise Solutions
The Economic Effects of Sea Level Rise on Corporate Decision Making in South Florida
U.S. law firm Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, with Florida offices in Coral Gables, Fort Lauderdale and Tampa, will hold the third annual Sea Level Rise & Climate Change Conference at the InterContinental Hotel in Miami on April 4, 2019 from 8:30am to 4:30pm. Entitled "Digging for Sea Level Rise Solutions: The Economic Effects of Sea Level Rise on Corporate Decision Making," the Conference will explore how the business community can collaborate and partner with local government to develop proactive solutions.
"As the effects of flooding and extreme weather continue, it is important for government and the business community in Miami and South Florida to provide leadership regarding rising sea levels and climate change," said Steven C. Cronig, Conference co-chair and a Hinshaw partner residing in the Miami/Coral Gables office. "Sea level rise is an urgent economic issue facing property owners, real estate developers, the lenders who finance them as well as the insurers who provide policy coverage."
The 2019 Conference is a business-oriented program that will explore successful solutions and feature a full day of relevant and substantive panels including governmental leaders and experts from the real estate, finance, and insurance industries across the US. 250 people are attending.
Tom Hudson, WLRN's Director of News, is the Conference Emcee. Speakers include Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber, ULI's Director of Sustainability Billy Grayson and Laura Craft, Head of Global Sustainability with Heitman, a global real estate investment manager.
Key topics to be discussed include:
- Adaptation and mitigation – what projects are underway and being planned, and what is the ROI for investments made to date.
- How do we 'Future-Proof' real estate from Climate Risk?
- The National Flood Insurance Program's new rate restructuring (the first in 50 years) plus private flood insurance and parametric insurance.
- Analyzing climate risk and how to finance investments in resilience.
- Other environmental issues we can't forget about while addressing sea level rise and changing attitudes about sea level rise.
Conference partners are FIU's Sea Level Solutions Center, Urban Land Institute (ULI) and WLRN Miami/South Florida. Platinum sponsors are Douglas Elliman Real Estate and The Miami Herald. Corporate sponsors are Associated Photo & Imaging, FPL, Grove Trust & Bank and Kaufman Rossin.