Ian D. Wagreich handles business-related immigration law for multinational corporations, hospitals, nonprofit arts institutions, universities, athletic organizations, and individual investors and entrepreneurs. A passionate advocate for a more just and humane immigration system, Ian is committed to helping his clients navigate each step of an increasingly complex process.
In addition to providing counsel on nonimmigrant working visas, employment-based permanent residence, and labor certification, Ian has advised clients on investment related immigration, and employer sanctions. Ian has effectively assisted a wide variety of clients in meeting their business-immigration needs. This includes managing the paperwork required for hiring highly skilled workers, advising on the international transfer of personnel, leading corporate compliance initiatives, and assisting employees with obtaining U.S. permanent residence and citizenship.
Recognized as a leading voice in the area of immigration law nationwide, Ian frequently speaks about immigration issues at universities and continuing legal education seminars. He has also appeared in print media and television news programs, including CBS Morning News.
Ian's legal career spans more than 20 years in firms throughout Chicago. This includes nearly a decade at a firm where he was a founding shareholder. While there, he focused entirely on business-related immigration and nationality law issues. Most recently before joining Hinshaw, Ian practiced at a full service Chicago-based firm.
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- USCIS HQ Benefits Policy Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association
- International Medical Graduate Taskforce
- Government Liaison Committee, Chair
Honors & Awards
- Selected for inclusion in "Who's Who Legal: Corporate Immigration," 2016 – 2022
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2016 – 2022
- President's Commendations, AILA, 2011, 2014, 2015
- Joseph Minsky Beacon of Light Award, Chicago Chapter of AILA, 2014
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Represented intellectual property law firm in obtaining H-1B petition approval and permanent residence for employees, including associates and law clerks.
- Represented large public university in obtaining permanent residence for researchers and scholars.
- Obtained approvals of complex L-1A Managerial and L-1B Specialized Knowledge petitions for large chain of retail stores.
- Counsel to large health care organization in complex compliance matters.
- Assisted professional athletes in obtaining temporary work authorization and U.S. permanent residence.
- Assisted investors in obtain approval of EB-5 petitions, often involving complex source of funds tracing.
- Represented world renowned symphony in obtaining O-1 extraordinary ability visas for performers.
- Assisted small business owners in obtaining E-2 Treaty Investor Status to allow them to direct and manage their businesses in the U.S.
- Panelist, "Full STEM Ahead: Biden-Era Immigration Options Beyond the H-1B Cap," Exigent Group, Webinar, April 19, 2022
- Co-Presenter, “To Green Card or Not to Green Card? Strategies and Considerations Regarding Applying for Permanent Residency," American Immigration Lawyers Association Fall Conference and Webcast, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 12, 2021
- Faculty, " Reading the Tea Leaves: Recent Adjudicatory Trends and Challenges," AILA Rome District Chapter of the EMEA 2021 Virtual Spring Conference, Virtual Event, April 28, 2021
- Panelist, "PERM Session," AILA Chicago Spring Conference, Virtual Event, April 9, 2021
- "New Horizons: Advanced Strategies in Immigration Law in the Biden and COVID Era," 2021 AILA NE Conference, Virtual Event, March 4, 2021
- Panelist, "Perspectives from Practice: Immigration Reform Under President Biden," University of Chicago Webinar, February 24, 2020
- Co-Presenter, "Recent Updates in Employment-Related Immigration: Gazing into the Crystal Ball at the Year Ahead," Hinshaw's 25th Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Virtual Event, October 28, 2020
- "Professional Visas: Overview of the H-1B and the Alternatives," American Immigration Lawyers Association Virtual Online Conference, July 21, 2020
- "Immigration Options for International Students, Faculty, and Staff," University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, May 29, 2020
- "Immigration Information Session on Permanent Residency not Requiring Labor Certification and Hot Topics in Immigration Law," Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, April 29, 2020
- "Dealing with the Worst of Bureaucracy – When Red Tape Hinders Good-Faith Efforts to Normalize Status," American Immigration Lawyers Association Annual Conference, San Francisco, California, June 16, 2018
- "Effects of the Trump Administration's Travel Ban," CBS Morning News, January 30, 2017
- "Establishing the Employer-Employee Relationship in NIV Third-Party Placements," American Immigration Lawyers Association Annual Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, June 23, 2016
- "Visa Waiver Program and the Use of the B Visa for Athletes, Entertainers, and Artists," Immigration Options for Artists, Entertainers & Athletes, Third Edition, 2020
- "Employment-Based Immigration: The First Three Preferences," Navigating the Fundamentals of Immigration Law, 2020 – 21 Ed, 2019 – 20 Ed, 2018 – 19 Ed, 2017 – 18 Ed
- "RFEs & NOIDS: Templates vs. Special Unicorns," Immigration Practice Pointers: Tips for Handling Complex Cases, 2019 – 20 Ed
- "Service Center Processing: U.S. Applications," Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Immigration Law, 2019 Ed
- Hinshaw Partners Ronald Kammer, Scott Seaman, and Ian Wagreich Recognized in 2022 International Who's Who LegalApril 18, 2022
- April 28, 2021
- September 1, 2020Wagreich brings extensive experience advising global companies with complex immigration matters
- How Employers Can Prepare for the Upcoming H-1B Lottery Ian D. Wagreich, Ritika Narayanan
Employment Law Observer
- May 10, 2022Insights for Employers
- January 11, 2022Insights for Employers
- Employer FAQs: Biden Administration Announces Plans to Replace COVID-19 Travel Bans With Vaccination and Testing RequirementsSeptember 23, 2021Insights for Employers
- Federal Court in California Blocks as Unlawful New DHS/DOL Rules That Would Severely Restrict H-1B VisasDecember 4, 2020Insights for Employers
- November 16, 2020Insights for Employers
Ian is a somewhat average bicyclist who rode across Iowa five times (and counting) in search of grilled corn, pork chops on a stick, and live music. In a former life, he played and coached rugby, and has played on every continent except for Antarctica and South America. Ian is also an avid gardener, and he and his wife would like to know if you could take some chilis, tomatoes, or zucchini off of their hands.
- American Immigration Council
- Ambassador's Committee, Former Chair
- Board of Trustees, Former Member