Chambers USA Once Again Recognizes Hinshaw For Its Leading Insurance Practice
Kent Keller, Mike Marick, Royal Oaks, Scott Seaman, and Jim Kallianis Garner Individual Recognition As Leading Insurance Law Practitioners
Chambers USA announced today that Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP's Insurance Practice has been ranked in the 2017 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (Chambers USA). Specifically, Hinshaw is recognized for Insurance Dispute Resolution – Insurer (Band 1 – Illinois and Band 3 California).
Additionally, five of the partners in Hinshaw's Insurance Services Practice Group - Kent R. Keller, Michael M. Marick, Royal F. Oakes, Scott M. Seaman, and James H. Kallianis, Jr. – were recognized once again by Chambers as leading lawyers.
Published by Chambers and Partners, Chambers USA is a widely respected annual publication that highlights leading law firms and lawyers representing clients in the United States and internationally. Chambers and Partners' researchers interview thousands of lawyers and their clients around the world, providing the basis for the listings.
Insurance Practice Rankings
In ranking Hinshaw in Band 1 in "Insurance: Insurance Dispute Resolution: Insurer – Illinois" and quoting members of the insurance industry, Chambers notes:
What the team is known for Widely acknowledged for its representation of insurer clients in complex high-value coverage arbitration and litigation matters. Experienced in construction defect, first party property and cyber insurance as well as in personal insurance claims. Also handles risk management issues.
Strengths "I have found them to be very good, very professional, very capable and very easy to work with."
"Their analysis is spot-on - that is the first thing, and secondly they help us with strategy in the coverage area. They do an excellent job, they are great at breaking down where we can and can't win and how you put that together to resolve litigation."
"I have been very happy with them, they provide very good client service. They are timely, thoughtful, good on strategy and have very good writing skills."
Significant clients FM Global, CNA, Chubb, Liberty Mutual, Crum & Forster.
In ranking Hinshaw as a leading firm in "Insurance: Insurer – California," Chambers states:
What the team is known for Highly capable firm with a reputation for representing both domestic and foreign insurers across the USA. The California team has key expertise in regulatory insurance law and also offers a robust litigation practice, representing insurers in coverage disputes and class actions on a regular basis.
Strengths One client reports: "They are extraordinarily responsive to my needs and get things done effectively and efficiently. Also, although they are a large firm, they have the nimbleness of a small firm."
Another client says: "They have consistently been client-focused and are very plugged in to legal matters in their areas and know the players well. Their biggest strength is honest assessment of the issues and chances for success."
Individual Attorney Rankings
Hinshaw partners ranked individually in this year's edition of Chambers USA — all of whom have been recognized in several consecutive past issues of Chambers USA — include Chicago-based partners: Michael M. Marick (Band 1) a member of the firm's Management Committee; Scott M. Seaman (Band 2) National Co-Chair of the firm's Insurance Services Practice Group, and James H. Kallianis Jr. (Band 3) as well as Los Angeles-based partners Kent R. Keller (Senior Statesmen) and Royal F. Oakes (Band 2).
According to Chambers:
- Michael Marick maintains a great reputation for his experience and ability handling a range of complex disputes. Sources report: "He has a great legal mind and is an effective problem solver," with others adding: "Pound for pound he has more encyclopedic knowledge than any insurance lawyer I have ever met." Clients further laud him, saying: "He is extremely effective, both in the courtroom and at the negotiating table."
- Scott Seaman highly regarded in the market for his in-depth insurance expertise and is described as both "extremely gifted" and "a great attorney." He is frequently called on to assist with allocation, professional liability and construction defect issues as well as other insurance disputes.
- A "good strategic thinker," James Kallianis is known as a "very smart and very analytical" attorney. He is respected for his skill in insurance litigation including cyber insurance issues, general liability and D&O matters.
- The "outstanding" Kent Keller offers a wealth of experience in insurance litigation and regulatory matters. He routinely acts for property and casualty, life and annuity insurers and reinsurers. Sources highlight him as "one of the preeminent lawyers in the field."
- The "fantastic" Royal Oakes is very skilled in defending insurers against allegations of bad faith, with extensive experience at both the trial and appellate levels. He recently led the firm's work on behalf of American National Property and Casualty insurance company, which involved defending the company against allegations of bad faith made by a former agent.