Pete Carlson has 30 years of experience representing construction companies, insurance companies, transportation companies and their insurers. He represents clients in construction litigation, commercial motor vehicle cases, labor and employment litigation, labor contract disputes, premises liability disputes, and employers in administrative matters.
Mr. Carlson also defends catastrophic bodily injury and severe property damage/fire loss cases, as well as premises liability, construction defect, and accident litigation. In addition to litigating on behalf of his clients, Mr. Carlson also counsels and advises on contract negotiations and disputes, risk management and safety strategies, exposures, and insurance programs, as well as the rules and requirements of Medicare with respect to claims and litigation.
Mr. Carlson's clients include construction companies, insurance companies, governmental entities, trucking and transportation companies, manufacturers, service industry companies, financial institutions, and self-insured entities.
He has tried many cases to verdict before juries, bench trials, and administrative law judges. Mr. Carlson has argued before the Illinois Appellate Court, and has represented clients in multiple jurisdictions across the United States.
Mr. Carlson joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in December 1995. He is a member of the firm's Defense Litigation, Transportation, and Labor and Employment Practice Groups. Mr. Carlson is also a member of the firm's Executive Committee. He is also an appointed Will County Special Assistant State's Attorney.
A selection of Mr. Carlson's presentations includes:
- "The Bermuda Triangle (ADA, FMLA, Workers' Compensation)" Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2012
- "Legal Aspects of Chronic Pain: The Disability Conundrum," Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, July 2010
- "Illinois Legal Update: Decisions and Trends," Great West Casualty, South Sioux City, Nebraska, April 2010
- "Tort Exposures and Trends," RIMS Real Estate Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, October 2003
- "Illinois Employment Update," Great West Casualty, South Sioux City, Nebraska, January 2003
- "Fit to Work," Worksteps Employment Seminar, Illinois, September 2002
- Co-Author, "Illinois Disability," in Monograph's, IDC Quarterly®, Volume 18, Number 4, Fourth Quarter 2008
- April 15, 2020Insights for Employers
J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law at Illinois Institute of Technology, 1991
- Kent Legal Scholar
B.A., Boston College, 1988
Saint Ignatius College Prep, 1984
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois