Michael McConathy advises clients on personal injury, real property, and construction matters, as well as labor and employment disputes. Over the course of his litigation career—which spans more than 20 years—he has defended restaurants, construction and equipment companies, a large fire apparatus manufacturer, grocery chains, and a number of small Bay Area businesses.
Before joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Mike practiced at several firms in San Francisco. He also served as Compliance Officer for a national healthcare company and was Assistant General Counsel for a software company.
Prior to embarking on his legal career, Mike was an economist for the U.S. Department of Commerce, where he calculated and published gross domestic product statistics.
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Attorney/Client Fee Dispute Panel
- State Bar Association of California
- Labor & Employment Section
Honors & Awards
- Golden Gate University School of Law
- Moot Court Finalist
- Pennsylvania State University
- Navy ROTC Scholarship Recipient
- Favorable outcome in San Francisco bench trial for high-profile local restaurant against employee discrimination claims.
- Defended elementary school in due process matter before California Office of Administrative Hearings where parents alleged failure to identify special education needs.
- Professional Liability
- Successfully defended attorney in disciplinary investigation brought by State Bar of California.
- Obtained complete dismissal of all 4 attorneys in legal malpractice action where client claimed defective defense representation in real estate matter.
- Represented estate in replevin action to recover stolen collector car worth nearly $2M.
- Defended owner in contentious real property and corporate ownership partition action involving a family-owned San Francisco business.
- "Destination Ventures, Ltd. v. F.C.C. and Moser v. F.C.C.: How Much Should the Telephone Consumer Protection Act Restrict Your Phone, Fax and Computer?," Golden Gate University Law Review – Ninth Circuit Survey, Vol. 26 Issue 1
- October 11, 2019William Bogdan and Michael McConathy Join from LeClairRyan
Outside of the office, Mike's interests include scuba diving & spearfishing, snowboarding, photography, and coaching youth baseball.
- Piedmont Baseball & Softball Foundation, Board of Directors, Member
J.D., Golden Gate University School of Law, 1997
B.S., Pennsylvania State University, 1990