Jim Koehler practices civil litigation in various areas, including but not limited to cases involving professional liability claims, contracts, fraud, construction, product liability, wrongful death, survival actions, property damage, the Nursing Home and Care Act, and personal injury matters. He represents clients in state and federal courts in addition to alternative dispute forums. Jim also represents clients in appellate court matters.
As an accomplished trial attorney, Jim successfully defended the operator of a sanitary waste facility through trial in a $40 million lawsuit brought under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA). He was also part of a trial attorney team that obtained a defense verdict for a major oil company in a $32 million lawsuit involving significant head injuries brought by one of Chicago's preeminent plaintiff's firms. In addition, Jim represented a general contractor in a $10 million property damage claim resulting from the Holy Name Cathedral fire in Chicago and a national architectural firm in a $46 million property damage claim. A portion of Jim's practice is dedicated to representing contractors in a variety of litigation matters.
- Chicago Bar Association
- Obtained early dismissal of manufacturer of construction support apparatus through successful motion practice.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a contractor regarding a construction project accident.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a general contractor regarding a construction project accident.
- Obtained a favorable verdict for an operator of a sanitary landfill and waste transporter through trial.
- Obtained a not-guilty verdict in favor of a service station owner in a claim arising from an explosion at the station.
- Successfully represented a daycare center in a lawsuit arising out of alleged personal injuries sustained by a minor child while in the custody of the daycare provider.
J.D., University of Illinois Chicago School of Law (formerly The John Marshall Law School), 1990
B.A., Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois