Courtney Murphy is a seasoned litigator with significant experience handling large, complex first-party property and liability coverage disputes, litigations, and large loss arbitrations. Routinely serving as lead trial counsel or party arbitrator, she advises a variety of clients on all aspects of insurance, reinsurance, and subrogation both domestically and abroad.
As part of her national practice, Courtney helps clients navigate complex insurance claims involving catastrophic loss and damage, as well as associated business income loss related to hurricanes, tornadoes, hail, flooding, fire, and other natural disasters. She also serves as a trusted advisor in matters pertaining to boiler/machinery claims and builders' risk claims. In addition, Courtney has deep knowledge of geotechnical issues, which can often be relevant in claims arising from faulty design, materials, or construction.
Courtney has also served as an arbitrator in large loss arbitrations. In recent months, she has leveraged her deep knowledge and experience to address clients' needs and concerns relative to coverage-related disputes in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Courtney brings nearly three decades of trial and appellate experience to Hinshaw. She began her legal career at one of the nation's largest firms where she defended asbestos litigation throughout the U.S. Most recently before joining Hinshaw, Courtney bolstered her experience with a firm in New York. While there, she represented clients in first-party property insurance and insurance coverage litigation, as well as casualty liability, products liability, and professional liability matters.
During law school, Courtney was involved in a number of associations and activities. While she was a student, Courtney also worked for the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York in the Major Crime Bureau.
- American Bar Association
- Brooklyn Bar Association
- The Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- Secured a defense verdict in a multi-million dollar first party property case where the corporate policyholder sought recovery for catastrophic water loss and damage to its five-story commercial property located in the Detroit Business District. Courtney successfully argued that the policyholder failed to comply with the Policy's Protective Safeguard Endorsement, and all claims were dismissed. Additionally, various costs were reimbursed to the insurer, due to an offer of judgment filed before trial.
- Successfully defended against a multi-million claim filed against a large market of insurers for loss arising out of a purported explosion to a manufacturing facility.
- August 5, 2020Murphy brings domestic and global experience with complex first party coverage litigation
Outside of the office, Courtney is an avid runner and photographer. She also enjoys sailing. Additionally, Courtney endlessly strives to improve upon her golf game in hopes of reaching the highest level of mediocrity attainable within the sport by a working lawyer.
J.D., New York Law School, 1994
B.A., Fordham University, 1990
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of New York