In Law360, Mellissa Schafer Provides Expert Analysis on New Laws for California Employers to Be Mindful of in 2021
Human resources professionals and owners of business that employ people in California should be mindful of a raft of new state employment laws as 2021 unfolds. Several of these new laws and requirements stem from dynamics unleashed by the COVID-19 pandemic. Others address topics aligned with the focus of California legislators.
To help employers stay on top of their state employment law compliance obligations, Los Angeles-based employment attorney Mellissa Schafer authored an overview titled "New Laws Will Keep Calif. Employers On Their Toes In 2021." Issues covered in the article include:
- The state's expansion of paid sick and family leave
- The expansion of the California Family Rights Act
- Various new reporting requirements
- Laws concerning who can and cannot be classified as an independent contractor
- Wage and hour laws
- Diversity-related requirements for boards of directors of publicly held corporations with their principal office located in California
Read the full article (subscription may be required)
"New Laws Will Keep Calif. Employers On Their Toes In 2021" was published by Law360 on January 7, 2021.