Adam's practice primarily focuses on serving clients in the commercial/residential services and healthcare services arenas. In his commercial/residential services practice, Adam assists in defending products liability, premises liability and general liability cases on both a local and national basis. Within the healthcare arena, in addition to focusing a significant portion of his practice on risk management issues involving long-term care facilities, assisted living facilities and home care agencies, Adam has also developed a focus on defending Section 1983 civil rights actions alleging deliberate indifference to medical needs. Clients express appreciation for Adam's accessibility, practicality, and commitment to achieving their organizational and personal goals.
Adam has extensive trial, deposition and mediation experience, giving him the first hand ability to be effective in and out of the courtroom. Adam has tried and arbitrated matters in Illinois as well as New York, Virginia, and California, on a pro hac vice basis. He has also presented arguments before each United States District Court within Illinois, as well as the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Clients find that Adam's experience before each of these tribunals assists them with further understanding potential jurisdictional and venue specific advantages and pitfalls that may arise throughout the tenure of a litigated matter.
Adam has spoken and provided Continuing Legal Education seminars on the topic of incorporating the wireless world into the legal profession. Adam is a member of the firm's Hinshaw University Planning Committee, which plans and produces the firm's nationwide attorney training and development programs as well as continuing legal education programs. Outside of the firm, Adam is an active board member of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), having previously served as a co-chair of its young leader development program. He currently serves as co-chair of the associate board and was appointed in 2016 to serve on the Management Committee of the Chicago/Upper Midwest Regional Board. Adam also serves on the associate board of CJE SeniorLife and is a member of the Chicago Bar Association as well as an alumni member of his undergraduate fraternity, Sigma Alpha Mu.
Adam holds an undergraduate degree in Political Science and Criminal Justice from Indiana University. He earned his J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law, where he graduated with a specialized certificate in advocacy.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as an "Emerging Lawyer" by Leading Lawyers Magazine (2015–2017)
- Undergraduate: Double Major, Dean's List
- Law School: Dean's List, Moot Court Member, CALI Award for Excellence in Legal Writing
- "Navigating Third-Party Credentialing Systems in Assisted Living Centers and Other Facilities," Home Care Association of America, Webinar, March 6, 2018
- LeadingAge Senior Living Conference, Lisle, Illinois, September 26, 2017
- "Senior Care, Home Services and Home Health Symposium," an In-house Program, Chicago, Illinois, September 14, 2017
- LeadingAge Human Resource Symposium, Lisle, Illinois, July, 2017
- Home Care Association of America Illinois Conference, Lisle, May, 2017
- "Medical Law Updates," Broadspire National, webinar, May 17, 2017
- "Defensive Documentation," Home Care Association of America, Elmhurst, Illinois, April 18, 2017
- "Long-Term Care Peer Review and Quality Assessment and Assurance Protection Act," LeadingAge Webinar, Chicago, Illinois, March 22, 2017
- "Final Ruling to New Beginnings," an In-house Program, Chicago, Illinois, January 19, 2017
- "The Fair Housing Act and Recent Litigation Trends in Senior Living Facilities," Hinshaw's Breakfast Seminar Series, Rockford, Illinois, October 11, 2016
- "Risk Management of Long-Term Care Facilities in the Digital Age," LeadingAge Illinois Annual Meeting and Exhibition, Schaumburg, Illinois, April 5, 2016
- "Authorized Electronic Monitoring in Long-Term Care Facilities Act - Know What to Expect," Chicago, Illinois, January 2016
- "Effective Claims Handling: A Proactive Approach to Identifying and Minimizing Risks in Senior Living Facilities," 2015 Senior Living Conference, Naperville, Illinois September 2015
- "Electronically Stored Information and Litigation Hold Letters," National Commission on Correctional Health Care (NCCHC), National Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 22, 2014
- "Reform of Long-Term Care Facility Requirements: CMS's Landmark Final Rule Poses New Challenges," Bloomberg BNA Health Law Reporter, February 2017.
"Cutting Through the Confusion—The Illinois Authorized Electronic Monitoring in Long-Term Care Facilities Act Revisited," Bloomberg BNA Health Law Reporter, April 2016.
- "The Illinois Authorized Electronic Monitoring in Long-Term Care Facilities Act—What It Means for Long-Term Care Providers in Illinois," Bloomberg BNA Health Law Reporter, October 2015.
- Hinshaw Attorneys Featured in a LeadingAge Illinois Webinar Series Focused on Private Duty Home Care AgenciesJanuary 10, 2018
- February 15, 2017
- January 19, 2017
- September 20, 2016
- July 1, 2016
- David Alfini and Adam Guetzow Author Bloomberg BNA Article on the Illinois Authorized Electronic Monitoring in Long-Term Care Facilities Act RevisitedApril 22, 2016
- October 14, 2015BNA's Health Law Reporter
- April 1, 2015
- June 12, 2017Long-Term Care Alert
- March 2, 2017Long-Term Care Alert
- U.S. District Court Issues Preliminary Injunction Stalling and Possibly Precluding CMS’ Final Rule’s Ban on Long-Term Care Resident Arbitration AgreementsNovember 15, 2016Long-Term Care Alert
- August 2, 2016Long-Term Care Alert
- February 3, 2016Long-Term Care Alert
- October 22, 2015Long-Term Care Alert
- September 3, 2015
- August 24, 2015
Adam lives and works in Chicago. He is an avid fan of the Chicago culinary scene and can always be a trusted resource for a great restaurant recommendation.
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2009
B.A., Political Science / Criminal Justice, Indiana University at Bloomington, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois