Ambrose McCall brings more than three decades of experience to his robust employment, commercial and professional liability litigation practice. His clients—who include insurers, professionals, businesses, law firms and governmental entities throughout Illinois—appreciate his commitment to help them succeed personally and in business.
In the field of labor and employment, Ambrose defends employers in a wide range of employment issues, including those involving civil rights, cyber security, discrimination, harassment and retaliation, as well as restrictive covenant, wage and hour, workplace tort and whistleblower claims.
A portion of Ambrose's practice is also dedicated to counseling clients in commercial litigation. He has advised his clients in contract real estate litigation, construction litigation, and creditor matters. Ambrose also defends lawyers and law firms facing claims of professional liability.
Ambrose joined Hinshaw in January 2006.
He graduated from the International Association of Defense Counsel's Trial Academy in 1999.
- Federal Bar Association
- Central District of Illinois Chapter
- Board of Directors, Member
- Central District of Illinois Chapter
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Section Council, Member, 2010
- Peoria County Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Member
- Local Continuing Legal Education Committee, Member
- Real Property Committee, Member
Honors & Awards
- Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for ethics and legal ability
- Named Peoria County Pro Bono Attorney of the Year by the Peoria County Bar Association, 2017
Ambrose represents multiple insurers, employers, businesses, land owners and governmental entities throughout Illinois. His representative cases have included:
- Fullerlove v. Menard Inc., Case No. 15-cv-4207 U.S. Central District of Illinois, April 25, 2017 (Summary Judgment for defendant in personal injury case).
- Hayward v. Petrovski et al., Circuit Court of the Tenth Judicial Circuit, Peoria County, Illinois, Case No. 09-L-68 Oct. 12, 2016 (Granting Motion to Dismiss Counterclaim in Lien Litigation).
- Blackwell v. Gunn, Case No. 12-2251, U.S. Dist. Ct. Central District of Illinois, July 1, 2013 (Summary Judgment for defendants in legal malpractice case).
- All Star Advertising Agency, Inc. v. Reliance Insurance Co., 2004-1544, 898 So. 2d 369 (La. 4/12/05). The Louisiana Supreme Court reversed the Louisiana Court of Appeal and held that the Pennsylvania laws governing insolvent insurers are reciprocal with the Louisiana laws governing insolvent insurers, thereby barring plaintiff's claims.
- Bauer v. Dyer, 782 So.2d 1133 (La. Ct. App. 5th Cir. 2001), writ denied, 2001 WL 609920 (La. May 25, 2001). The Louisiana Court of Appeal affirmed a summary judgment obtained for a lawyer on the grounds that the attorney defendant could not have won the underlying case.
- William C. Deloney, et al. v. Bogalusa City School Board, U.S. District Court, E.D. La., C.A. No. 00-3081, Summary Judgment for Defendants (3/15/01). A First Amendment school uniform case involving the wearing of religious symbols.
- Griffith v. Keystone Steel & Wire Co., 858 F.Supp 802 (C.D. Ill. 1994), 887 F.Supp 1133 (C.D. Ill. 1995), 1995 U.S. Dist LEXIS 11686 (C.D. Ill. June 6, 1995), 1995 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11685 (C.D. Ill. July 12, 1995). Recognizing pre-Oncale basis for same-sex harassment case.
Ambrose frequently presents on topics such as employment law, attorney malpractice and ethics, commercial litigation issues and claims against governmental entities. He has also been interviewed about social media issues on Peoria's "Greg and Dan" morning radio show on WMDB, 1470 AM. His presentations include:
- Co-Presenter, "Cybersecurity in the Workplace: How to Strengthen and Protect Your Business in an Era of Easy Computer System Access," Webinar, August 16, 2018
- "Social Networking in the Workplace: Legal Principles, State-of-the-Art Policies and Emerging Issues," Lorman Education Services, Webinar, June 2018
- "Smoking Discrimination in the Workplace: On and Off the Clock," Lorman Education Services, Webinar, April 11, 2018
- "The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act – Navigating the New Normal of Workplace Technology and Cybersecurity," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hilton Chicago-Northbrook, Northbrook, Illinois, October 12, 2017
- "Cautionary Case Law" section of the CNA & Pearl Insurance "Ahead of the Curve - Risk Management for Lawyers" seminar, Peoria Civic Center, Peoria, Illinois, September 27, 2017
- "Fair Labor Standards Act - Case Developments & Exemptions," Peoria County Bar Association, Peoria, Illinois, January 21, 2017
- "Winter Is Coming: FLSA Updates," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2016
- "Cautionary Case Law" section of the CNA & Pearl Insurance "Ahead of the Curve - Risk Management for Lawyers," Peoria Civic Center, Peoria, Illinois, July 18, 2016
- "Retaliatory Discharge and Whistleblower Cases," Sterling Workers' Compensation Seminar, Bloomington, Illinois, June 9, 2016
- "The Challenges of Using Social Media in Workers' Compensation Claims," Lorman Education Services, Webinar, May 2016
- "Weight Loss at the Workplace: Legal Issues in Reducing Health Care Costs and Promoting Wellness," Lorman Education Services, webinar, January 2016
- "Your Legal Responsibilities When Monitoring Your Employees On and Off the Clock," Lorman Education Services, webinar, November 2015
- "Employment Law: Beyond the Basics," Sterling Education Services Seminar, Bloomington, Illinois, October 2015
- "Today's Fair Labor Standards Act," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2015
- "The Challenges of Using Social Media in Workers' Compensation Claims" Lorman Education Services, live webinar, September 2015
- "The Competitive Edge - Law Practice Risk Management." Presented "Establishing Client Intake Procedures" and "The Conflicts Conundrum: Avoiding and Managing Conflicts of Interest," CNA Seminar, Peoria, Illinois, July 2015
- "Retaliatory Discharge Issues and the Illinois Whistleblower Act" and "Workers' Compensation Attorney and Ethical and Professional Behavior," Sterling Education Services, Inc. Advanced Workers' Compensation Seminar, Bloomington, Illinois, June 2015
- "How to Achieve Wage and Hour Compliance in the Current Economy," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2014
- "The Conflicts Conundrum: Avoiding and Managing Conflicts of Interest," CNA Risk Control Seminar - The Competitive Edge: Law Practice Management, Peoria, Illinois, July 2014
- "Retaliatory Discharge Actions Under Illinois Law," Sterling Education's Workers' Compensation Law & Practice Seminar, Bloomington, Illinois, June 2014
- "New Business Employee Issues on Social Media," 2014 Illinois Entrepreneurship and Small Business Association Conference, Normal, Illinois, May 2014
- "Causes of Action for Retaliatory Discharge," Peoria Bar Association Brown Bag Seminar, Peoria, Illinois, March 2014
- "Weight Loss at the Workplace: Legal Issues in Reducing Health Care Costs and Promoting Wellness," Lorman Education Services, live seminar, January 2014
- "Does Freedom of Speech in the Workplace Exist?" white paper, presented at Central District of Illinois Chapter of the Federal Bar Association CLE Seminar, Illinois, September 21, 2018
- "Summary judgment motion practice in the Central and Southern districts," Federal Civil Practice, the newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association's Section on Federal Civil Practice, Vol. 14, No., February 2016
- "In Re: Text Messaging Antitrust Litigation — Aircraft Check Services Co., et al., v. Verizon Wireless et al., No. 14-2301 (7th Cir. April 9, 2015)," Antitrust & Unfair Competition Law, the newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association's Section on Antitrust & Unfair Competition Law, Vol. 53, No. 2, April 2015
- "The Forum-Defendant Rule Bars Removal of Citation Action," Federal Civil Practice, the newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association's Section on Federal Civil Practice, Vol. 12, No. 1, September 2013
- October 31, 2017
- March 25, 2013
- January 4, 2013
- September 12, 2012
- June 13, 2012
- Ambrose V. McCall Published in the Illinois State Bar Association's Federal Civil Practice NewsletterSeptember 13, 2011
- August 26, 2011
- February 12, 2011
- Seventh Circuit Requires Trial of Respondeat Superior Claim Over Sexual Assault
- Implementing a Policy Review to Ensure You Are Protected Under The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, Part 2: How to Conduct Your Policy Review
- Implementing a Policy Review to Ensure You Are Protected Under The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, Part 1: Why You Should Conduct a Policy Review
- Are Employee Wellness Programs OK Under the ADA? EEOC Says Yes, But...
- Sixth Circuit Discusses ADA and Work Related Medical Exams Involving Psychological Issues
- Court Affirms Employer's Authority to Schedule Workweek under FLSA
- The Affordable Care Act’s Contraceptive Care Mandate Applies to Covered For-Profit Corporate Employers
- New Jersey Federal Court Finds that SCA Exception Applies to Facebook Posting Shared by Co-Employee
- Jury Issue Exists over Employment Termination Following Funeral Attendance Overseas
- U.S. Supreme Court Upholds Arbitrator’s Decision Finding that Contract Provides for Class Arbitration
- Seventh Circuit Clarifies how to mtet Injury Requirement of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
- 11th Circuit Affirms Denial of Temporary Reinstatement Sought By NLRB
- Second Circuit Clarifies Burdens of Proof in Sarbanes-Oxley Whistleblower Cases
- 11th Circuit Affirms Summary Judgment in ADEA case where Plaintiff used "Cat’s Paw" Theory
- 11th Circuit Overrules Summary Judgment in ADEA Case Based On Vice-President’s Reputed Statement
- Thirteen Month gap Between Protected Activity and Alleged Retaliation Leads To Summary Judgment For Employer
- Seventh Circuit Affirms Summary Judgment Against Illinois Eavesdropping Law Claim
- Seventh Circuit Explains the Burden of Proof Applied to Retaliation Claims
- Ninth Circuit: Employees do not Violate the CFFA when Violating Computer use Restrictions
- U.S. Supreme Court and State Legislatures Address Privacy Issues in the Workplace
Employment Law Observer
- May 2, 2018
- May 1, 2015
- September 2, 2014
- August 1, 2014
- December 2, 2013
- November 1, 2013
- September 3, 2013
- July 1, 2013
- May 2, 2013
- April 1, 2013
- February 1, 2013
- January 3, 2013
- December 3, 2012
- November 1, 2012
- May 3, 2011
J.D., Case Western Reserve University
- Contributing Editor, Law Review
- Associate, Law Review
B.A., English, Indiana University
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois