Hinshaw's Intellectual Property Practice attorneys represent companies across a wide range of industries with transactional and litigation matters involving copyright, patent, trademark and trade secret matters. We also help businesses with protective activities, such as developing electronic document management solutions. This assistance includes efforts concerning e-discovery rules.
Often, intellectual property issues arise in a pre-litigation context―with the sending or receipt of a cease and desist letter. Our Intellectual Property Practice attorneys routinely advise clients and communicate with the opposing party on methods of resolution short of litigation. We work closely with clients to avoid litigation by helping them: identify key marks and materials for registration; review matters relating to the development, distribution, ownership and use of technology; and prepare confidentiality, licensing, employment and insurance agreements involving intellectual property issues.
Our Intellectual Property Practice attorneys are also skilled and experienced litigators. So, where litigation is unavoidable, we provide skilled legal representation. Among many other types of cases, we: litigate patent infringement, trademark and dilution, and copyright infringement disputes; represent clients in unfair competition, trade secret, false advertising and right of publicity cases; and counsel clients in computer and internet law cases involving, for example, cybersquatting and domain names.
Hinshaw is also ideally situated to handle the insurance challenges that are often raised by intellectual property claims. In doing so, our Intellectual Property Practice attorneys work alongside lawyers in the firm who, collectively, are familiar with nearly every insurance matter. We provide the experienced counsel necessary to develop effective, practical solutions. Among many other activities, we routinely: litigate declaratory judgments involving insurance coverage for intellectual property claims; and review proposed insurance policies and programs regarding whether they provide the sought coverage for potential claims.
Our Intellectual Property Practice attorneys are active participants in intellectual property organizations, including the American Bar Association Intellectual Property Section, the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), the Defense Research Institute Intellectual Property Special Litigation Group, the International Trademark Association (INTA), and the Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago. We also regularly author articles and present on cutting edge topics involving intellectual property law.
- David Levitt Publishes Article in IP Watchdog Discussing a Recent Court Decision Involving Iconic Michael Jordan "Jumpman" LogoMarch 28, 2018
- March 14, 2018
- October 19, 2017
- October 9, 2017
- David Levitt on What Michael Jordan's Lawsuits Can Teach us about the "Forgotten Defense" of Commercial Speech in Right to Publicity CasesAugust 28, 2017
- August 22, 2017
- July 17, 2017
- July 10, 2017
- Hinshaw Attorney David Levitt Honored with Distinguished Member Award by Illinois Association of Defense Trial CounselJuly 6, 2017
- David Levitt Argues a Paradigm Shift is Underway at the Intersection of Electronic Medical Records and E-DiscoveryMay 2, 2017
- February 8, 2017
- U.S. Supreme Court Decision Limits Extraterritorial Reach of U.S. Patents: What Manufacturers and Exporters Need to KnowFebruary 24, 2017Intellectual Property Update
- U.S. Supreme Court Substantially Devalues Design Patent Damages on Multicomponent Products: What Design Patent Holders Need to KnowDecember 21, 2016Intellectual Property Update