L.J. Rotman's practice is concentrated in real estate financing, acquisitions and workouts and complex commercial transactions. His primary emphasis has been directed toward the hospitality industry. In this industry, L.J. has been responsible for the structuring and negotiation of billions of dollars of hotel acquisitions, financings, developments, restructurings and workouts involving thousands of hotels located throughout the world.
L.J.'s experience includes representing clients in acquiring and disposing of hotels, developing new brands and developing new hotels, including ocean front hotels in Miami, Naples, Perdido Key, Palm Beach Shores and Key West, Florida; South Padre Island, Texas; Gulfport and Biloxi, Mississippi and throughout the Caribbean. His experience also includes negotiating and structuring hotel management agreements with several national hotel operators and franchise agreements with nearly every major domestic flag. Many of the hotel transactions have included related amenities such as golf courses, health clubs, restaurants, airports, theme retail, casinos, amphitheaters, night clubs and convention centers.
In addition to conventional financing, the financing tools utilized in connection with these hotels have included REITs, REMICs, joint ventures, tax increment, public and private offerings, ground lease and sale/leaseback transactions. Given the unique nature of hotels as both a real estate asset and operating business, L.J. has been primarily responsible for nearly every legal aspect of these hotels, including liquor license approvals, land development issues, construction contracts, employment matters, securities matters, franchising, environmental, ADA, income, sales and property tax, timeshare conversion, foreclosure, receivership, litigation and bankruptcy.
L.J.'s hotel clients include developers, lenders, receivers, investors and hotel operators.
L.J. is the leader of the firm's Real Estate & Construction Practice Group. He served on the firm's Executive Committee for several years, and was also a regional director for the firm and former partner-in-charge of the Minneapolis office.
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- The POWER 30: Real Estate and Construction Law, Minnesota Lawyer, 2021, 2022
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Real Estate Law, 2010 – 2023
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Co-Author, "Depression Jurisprudence Revisited: Minnesota’s Moratorium on Mortgage Foreclosure," 10 William Mitchell Law Review 805, 1984
- Note of “Regulating Timeshare Interests in Minnesota: A Comprehensive Solution,” 10 William Mitchell Law Review 115, 1984
- Eighty-Seven Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2023 Editions of Best Lawyers in America and Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022Two Lawyers Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Hinshaw Partner L.J. Rotman Recognized as a 2022 POWER 30 in Real Estate and Construction Law by Minnesota LawyerJuly 1, 2022
- August 19, 2021Five Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- July 7, 2021
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- August 15, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- August 15, 2017
J.D., William Mitchell College of Law, 1984
- Member and Executive Editor of the William Mitchell Law Review
B.A., University of Colorado, 1980
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota