John DeLascio brings extensive experience in representing insurers and reinsurers in complex insurance coverage and reinsurance matters in various forums. He has substantial experience in counseling insurers and in litigating, arbitrating, and mediating a wide variety of insurance cases, including alleged bad faith and extra-contractual claims, mass tort, environmental, asbestos, Managing General Agent, and risk pool disputes. John handles matters involving both occurrence-based and claims-made based coverage and is experienced in varied lines of insurance, including: professional liability; Directors & Officers (D&O); Errors & Omissions (E&O) for insurance brokers, lawyers, accountants, real estate agents, healthcare, and human resources professionals; Employment Practices Liability (EPL); Managed Care Liability; First-Party Property; Cyber; and Comprehensive General Liability (CGL) lines, including long-tail toxic tort (asbestos, lead paint, concussion, and environmental claims), and advertising injury claims.
John regularly assists and advises industry clients in numerous aspects of the insurance business from policy drafting and claims handling to coverage litigation and reinsurance arbitrations. He also has extensive experience defending professionals against malpractice claims and consumer-related class actions such as the FDCPA and TCPA in both federal and state courts and has extensive appellate experience.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in April 2015, John was a partner in a litigation firm headquartered in Chicago. Before entering private practice, he served as a Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Justice Everette A. Braden (Retired), Illinois Appellate Court, First District, and Circuit Court of Cook County, Chancery Division. In addition, John served as a legal extern to the Honorable George N. Leighton (Retired).
- ARIAS US
- American Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Insurance Law, 2019 – 2021
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2015 – 2019
- Recognized by his peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in Insurance and Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance Law, 2019
- Representation of general liability insurers in complex multi-party environmental cases involving significant coverage disputes
- Representation of general liability insurers in significant mass tort and long-tail cases including asbestos claims, lead paint claims, and sports concussion claims.
- Representation of professional liability insurers in rescission and coverage litigation involving D&O policies, EPL policies, and managed care entity policies.
- Representation of insurers in lawsuits alleging statutory and/or bad faith insurance claims.
- Representation of insurers and reinsurers in litigation and arbitration disputes over claims and collections including issues such as "follow the fortunes," late notice, "utmost good faith," allocation, and accounting issues.
- Representation of insurer in multi-million dollar insurance and reinsurance pool dispute with pool manager regarding various risk pool management issues.
- Panelist, "Claims Handling Issues and Bad Faith Developments to be Aware of in 2021," Hinshaw's Webinar Series: Insurance Insights – What Insurers Need to Know in 2021, Virtual Event, April 20, 2021
- Co-Presenter, "Liability, Coverage, and Underwriting Issues Related to Biometric Privacy Laws," NAMIC Webinar, September 17, 2020
- "Emerging Legal Trends and Allocation Disputes In Environmental Claims," Society of Environmental Insurance Professionals (SEIP) Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, October 8, 2019
- "And This Changes Everything in Post 1986 Allocations (Site Pollution)," CLM Environmental and Toxic Tort webinar, July 17, 2019
- Panelist, "Claims Arising From Climate Issues," Insurance Coverage & Allocation Issues Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 30, 2019
- "Legal Trends in Environmental Insurance," SEIP Conference, San Francisco, California, June 20, 2018
- "The Impact Of Industry Consolidation On The Arbitration Process," ARIAS U.S. Fall Conference, New York, New York, November 2015
- 22nd National Conference on Employment Practices Liability Insurance New York City, February 2015
- PLRB Claims Conference (Global Warming Claims: Liability Coverage & Defenses) Seattle, Washington, 2009
- Co-Author, "Insurance & Reinsurance – USA Trends and Developments," Chambers and Partners Global Practice Guides, February 2021
- Co-Author, "Insurance Coverage for Biometric Privacy Claims," New York Law Journal, October 2, 2020
- "The Emerging Restrictions on An Employer's Use Of Non-Disclosure Agreements in Sexual Harassment Claims: A New Era of Openness?," Pioneer Underwriters Quarterly Investment Management Insurance Newsletter, Third Quarter 2019
- "Overlooking Environmental Coverages In An Allocation Battle Could Be Costly," ARIAS U.S. Quarterly, First Quarter 2019
- "Disregarding Honored Traditions: Attempts to Invoke State Statutes of Limitations In Reinsurance Arbitration", ARIAS U.S. Quarterly, Third Quarter 2014
- "Professional Liability And Global Warming Claims, Liability For Climate Change?" Experts' View On Potential Emerging Risk, Munich Re's Publication on Climate Change 2010
- "Emerging Issues: Global Warming Claims And Coverage Issues" Defense Counsel Journal, Vol. 76, January 2009
- "Global Warming Claims And Insurance Coverage Issues" Declarations, Winter 2008
- Hinshaw Insurance Law TV: Claims Handling Issues and Bad Faith Developments for Insurers to be Aware of in 2021June 7, 2021
- Hinshaw Authors USA Chapter of Chambers Global Practice Guide on Insurance & Reinsurance – Trends and DevelopmentsFebruary 4, 2021
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- June 25, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- July 25, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- April 24, 2015Firm Advances Next Step in Fulfillment of Strategic Plan with Nationally Recognized Thought Leaders Michael Marick and Scott Seaman
J.D., The John Marshall Law School
B.A., DePaul University
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central and Northern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan