John DeLascio focuses his practice in the areas of insurance coverage litigation and reinsurance disputes. Mr. DeLascio represents and counsels insurers, reinsurers and retrocessionaires in complex insurance and reinsurance matters in various forums. He has substantial experience in litigating, arbitrating and mediating a wide variety of insurance cases, including bad faith matters, mass tort, Managing General Agent and risk pool disputes. Mr. DeLascio handles matters involving occurrence-based and claims-made based coverage and is experienced in varied lines of insurance including Directors & Officers (D&O); Errors & Omissions (E&O) for brokers, lawyers, accountants, real estate agents, medical and human resources professionals; Employment Practices Liability (EPL); and Comprehensive General Liability (CGL) lines, including long-tail toxic tort (asbestos and environmental claims) and advertising injury claims.
Mr. DeLascio regularly assists and advises industry clients in numerous aspects of the insurance business from policy drafting and claims handling to coverage litigation and reinsurance arbitrations. He has also defended professionals against malpractice claims and consumer-related class actions in both federal and state courts and has extensive appellate experience.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in April 2015, Mr. DeLascio was a partner in a litigation firm headquartered in Chicago. Before entering private practice, Mr. DeLascio served as a Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Justice Everette A. Braden (Retired), Illinois Appellate Court, First District, and Circuit Court of Cook County, Chancery Division. In addition, Mr. DeLascio served as a legal extern to the Honorable Charles P. Kocoras, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois and as a research clerk for the Honorable George N. Leighton (Retired).
- ARIAS US, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- DRI, Member
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS), Member
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Super Lawyer (Insurance Coverage) (2015–2017)
- Representation of primary and excess property and casualty insurers in complex multi-party environmental cases involving significant coverage disputes
- Representation of primary and excess property and casualty insurers in significant mass tort and long-tail cases including asbestos claims
- Representation of insurers and reinsurers in disputes over claims and collections including issues such as "follow the fortunes", late notice, "utmost good faith", allocation and accounting
- Representation of insurer in multi-million dollar insurance and reinsurance pool dispute with pool manager regarding various risk pool management issues
- "The Impact Of Industry Consolidation On The Arbitration Process," ARIAS U.S. Fall Conference, New York, New York, November 2015.
- 22nd National Conference on Employment Practices Liability Insurance New York City (February 2015)
- PLRB Claims Conference (Global Warming Claims: Liability Coverage & Defenses) Seattle, Washington (2009)
- "Disregarding Honored Traditions: Attempts to Invoke State Statutes of Limitations In Reinsurance Arbitration", ARIAS U.S. Quarterly, Third Quarter 2014
- "Professional Liability And Global Warming Claims, Liability For Climate Change?" Experts' View On Potential Emerging Risk, Munich Re's Publication on Climate Change 2010
- "Emerging Issues: Global Warming Claims And Coverage Issues" Defense Counsel Journal, Vol. 76, January 2009
- "Global Warming Claims And Insurance Coverage Issues" Declarations, Winter 2008
J.D., The John Marshall Law School
B.A., DePaul University
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois