Todd Young focuses his practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, loan and financing transactions, and contract negotiation.
Mr. Young has represented purchasers and sellers in a wide variety of complex acquisition and disposition transactions. He also regularly counsels companies on day-to-day corporate governance issues.
Mr. Young has represented lenders and borrowers in various types of finance and loan transactions, and he has assisted several overseas corporations in the purchase and sale of U.S. entities. His financing work includes a particular focus on representing lenders in ESOP loan transactions. In those transactions he has represented lenders in both stand-alone and syndicated loan transactions with aggregate loan amounts ranging from $20 million to $150 million.
Mr. Young has extensive experience representing issuers in private offerings of securities.
Mr. Young’s clients are from a broad array of industries, and have annual sales ranging from $5 million to $1 billion. He has represented U.S. entities in their domestic matters, and has served as U.S. counsel for non-U.S. entities on their U.S. acquisitions and in other matters for their U.S.-based affiliates.
Mr. Young joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in February 1994. He is a member of the firm's Executive Committee and its Management Committee. He is a past co-leader of Hinshaw’s Commercial Transactions Practice Group, and is a past regional director.
From 1999 to 2010, he served as an adjunct professor at Northwestern University Law School, where he taught a course on mergers and acquisitions. From 2000 to 2004, he served as an adjunct Professor at Seabury Western Theological Seminary (Episcopal), where he taught a course on Canon Law.
Mr. Young served as the Chancellor (Chief Legal Officer) of the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago from 2003 through 2016, and he was profiled in an article entitled "He Brings Corporate Legal Skills to his Church," which appeared in the March 3, 2008 edition of the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin.
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the areas of Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Small, Closely & Privately Held Business Law (2010–2015)
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2005–2007)
"What Drives Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives Forward?" American Law Institute program, Chicago, Illinois, June 2, 2015.
"Marry Me a Little: The Short History and Exciting Future of Marriage Equality," Moderator, live simulcast, Hinshaw's LGBT Affinity Network, Chicago, New York and San Francisco, May 14, 2015.
"ESOP Mythbusters: Are Those Things You Hear About ESOPs True or False?," ESOP Association, Illinois Chapter Winter Conference, Oak Brook, Illinois, March 2015.
- "What Are They Thinking? ESOP Risk Assessment and Avoidance," ESOP Association, Midwest Regional Conference, Oak Brook, Illinois, September 2014.
- "Risk Avoidance During the ESOP Lifecycle," ESOP Association, Illinois Chapter–Annual Conference, Champaign, Illinois, March 2014.
- "ESOPs from A to Z," U.S. Trust, Bank of America, Private Wealth Management, Chicago, Illinois, October 2013.
- "Financing Your Venture—Market Check: A Review of Current Trends and Practices in Corporate Finance," ALPFA Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, June 2013.
- "Intergenerational Differences and LGBT Lawyers," moderator, Law Firm LGBT Affinity Group Roundtable, Chicago, Illinois, July 2012.
- "Legal, Legislative & Regulatory Update," Illinois Chapter of the ESOP Association, Champaign, Illinois, March 2012.
- "Ownership Transition: Passing the Torch Without Getting Burned," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, live webinar, January 2012.
- "Old Timers vs. Newbies: Collaboration-Based Solutions for Ownership Transition," American Institute of Architects—Illinois Chapter’s 2011 Annual Meeting, Lisle, Illinois, November 2011.
- "A Parish Perspective on Social Media and the Internet: Too Good to Pass Up or Too Risky to Trust?" National Episcopal Chancellors’ Conference, Fort Worth, Texas, May 2010.
- "Who Does What—The New Rules for Ecclesiastical Discipline," Provincial Conference of Bishops & Chancellors of the Episcopal Church, Rosemont, Illinois, January 2010.
- "The Ten Commandments of Canon Law for Vestries and Clergy," and "Parties, Banquets and Balls: Canonical and Legal Issues for Vestries," Leadership & Ministry Fair, Chicago, Illinois, April 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005.
- "Same Sex Marriage: What California’s Proposition 8 Result Means," GLBT Panel Discussion, Hinshaw, Chicago, Illinois, November 2008.
- "I Heard it Through the Grapevine—What Priests Can and Cannot Talk About: Clergy-Penitent Privilege, Mandatory Child Abuse Reporting and Privacy Issues," National Episcopal Chancellors’ Conference, San Diego, California, May 2007.
- "The Art and Science of When to Document, What to Document and How to Document it in an Era in Which Everything May be Discovered," Hinshaw’s "Ethics Seminar," Chicago, Illinois September 2006.
- "I’m a What?! Entity Selection Issues and Formation of Businesses," Hinshaw and Euclid Insurance’s seminar "2004 Design Firm Check-up," Chicago and Oak Brook, Illinois, November 2004.
- "The State of the Unions: Canon Law and Secular Law Concerning Same-Sex Couples and Other Unmarried Couples," National Episcopal Chancellors' Conference, Orlando, Florida, October 21-23, 2004.
- "Current Caselaw Concerning Ownership of Real Estate by Church Bodies," Province V Conference of Bishops and Chancellors of the Episcopal Church, June 2004.
Mr. Young has authored numerous publications including:
- "Corporate Operating and Maintenance Issues," author, Chapter 6, IICLE publication entitled "Illinois Business Law Series," Volume 1, 2015 Supplement edition (former Chapter 12, "Common Operating Aspects of Illinois Corporations," "Organizing and Advising Illinois Business"; also authored 1995, 1999, 2005, 2011 and 2013 editions and supplements of that chapter).
- "Organizing and Advising a Small Business," author, IICLE publication, 2015.
- "How to Sign a Contract? It Depends What You Are," ISPE Illinois Engineer This Week, June 2013.
- "Ownership Transition: Passing the Torch without Getting Burned," co-author, STRUCTURE magazine, July 2012.
- "Business Organizations," co-author, Chapter 2, IICLE publication entitled "Annual Survey of Illinois Law," 1989, 1990 and 1991 editions.
- "Intellectual Property and Financing," author, Illinois Banker, April 1990.
- "Maternal and Fetal Outcomes in Lamaze-Prepared Patients," co-author, Obstetrics and Gynecology, June 1978.
- July 15, 2015
- November 14, 2012
- Kevin Sido and Todd Young Author Article on Business Succession Planning for Engineering and Other Design Firms in STRUCTURE MagazineJuly 18, 2012
- May 1, 2012
- December 9, 2011
- January 1, 2011
- Episcopal Diocese of Chicago
- Chancellor Emeritus (2016–present)
- Chancellor (2003–2016)
- Assistant Chancellor (1995–2003)
Catechist, 6-9 Atrium, Church of Our Saviour
- Adjunct professor at Seabury Western Theological Seminary where he taught a course on canon law from 2000 to 2004
J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 1983
- Member, Law Review
- Editor, University of Chicago Law Review
A.B., cum laude, Dartmouth College, 1980
Course of Study, Université de Toulouse