Stephanie Tolson is a trial lawyer who represents those in the financial services industry, as well as a variety of other corporate clients, in complex litigation. She has extensive experience handling large commercial cases, commercial bankruptcies, and loan workouts.
In the financial services arena, Stephanie works with national lenders, credit card processing companies, floor plan lenders, loan servicers, and premium finance companies, representing them in litigation, bankruptcy, and restructuring matters. Armed with more than 25 years of bankruptcy-related experience, Stephanie has advised clients on the full range of adversary proceedings—including representing creditors in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy. She has handled Chapter 11 issues for national lenders and financial services companies, national floor plan lenders, and oil and gas companies, as well as automotive manufacturers, heavy equipment manufacturers, and individuals.
Stephanie also works with heavy industrial construction companies and manufacturers. This includes helping them with drafting and negotiating master contracts and purchase orders, handling lien and payment issues. She also represents them in litigation, including matters concerning contract disputes and construction defects.
In addition to defending her clients in both state and federal courts and before arbitrators, Stephanie has extensive appellate experience. She handles a large volume of appellate cases at the state and federal levels and before administrative agencies in Texas.
A trusted advisor, Stephanie also serves in an outside general counsel role for several clients. She has advised them on contracts, commercial collections, lien resolution, and insurance-related issues, as well as personal injury and workers' compensation claims, payment disputes, and general commercial litigation.
- State Bar of Texas
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Co-Presenter, "Out of Trust - Out of Business: Automobile Lien Priorities in Troubled Dealer Situations," 2019 Consumer Finance Legal Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, October 15, 2019
- December 17, 2020Kyle Ferachi and Stephanie Laird Tolson bring extensive employment, commercial litigation, and financial services industry bankruptcy and workout experience
Stephanie is a huge baseball fan. She cheers on the Astros from Minute Maid Park and her son's high school team from her perch in the team's concession stand.
- BARC Animal Shelter and Adoptions, Volunteer
- Houston Food Bank, Volunteer
- Luke's Methodist Church, Volunteer
- Thomas High School, Mom's Club and Baseball Team Mom
- State Bar of Texas, Pro Bono Program
- Women's Business Enterprise Alliance, Former Member of the Board of Directors
J.D., Texas Tech University School of Law, 1992
B.A., Texas Tech University, 1988
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas