Michael Guerrero advises companies within a wide range of industries on consumer protection and consumer financial services issues, including clients offering point of sale and personal property financing and leasing, rent-to-own products, and installment loans. He helps clients navigate compliance with state and federal calling and telemarketing, retail installment contracting, lending, and payments laws. He regularly provides guidance on the structuring of calling and texting campaigns and the creation of consumer credit programs involving the financing of goods or services. His diverse clientele includes investment banks, professional sports teams, FinTech companies, retailers, and automotive finance companies.
Mike has partnered with consumer financial services providers of all sizes, from startups to publicly traded companies, on matters involving all stages of the credit product lifecycle—from origination to repossession and disposition. Mike also assists clients with personal property financing and rental programs, as well as structuring both marketing and non-marketing telephone calling and texting campaigns.
Mike has extensive experience counseling clients on matters relating to the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA), the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), prohibitions on unfair, deceptive or abusive acts and practices (UDAAP), UCC Art. 9, Federal Trade Commission rules and guidelines (e.g., the Holder Rule, Cooling Off Rule, Telemarketing Sales Rule, Credit Practices Rule, and advertising guidelines), retail installment sales, and home improvement financing.
Before joining Hinshaw, Mike practiced at an AmLaw 100 Firm and also held in-house positions, including working for an e-commerce credit sale company, a startup mortgage lender, and a publicly traded debt buyer. While in-house, he oversaw legal and compliance efforts associated with the launch of an alternative payment-based, fifty-state credit sale product, obtained and renewed hundreds of debt collection, debt purchasing, and mortgage lending licenses, interacted with state regulators, and oversaw regulatory examinations.
- California Lawyers Association
- Consumer Financial Services Committee, Vice-Chair, November 2020 – Present; Co-Chair, November 2019 – November 2020
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Communications Law (Los Angeles), 2021
- California Western School of Law
- Academic Achievement Award in "Legal Skills I"
- Dean's List
- Faculty Award for Contributions to the Law School
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Law Review Article
- National Order of Scribes
- California Western School of Law
- "California's New Consumer Financial Protection Law (CFPL): A Look at the California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation's (DFPI's) Implementation Plans," Podcast featuring Bret Ladine, General Counsel of the California DFPI, November 19, 2020
- Panelist, "California Ramps Up Its Consumer Financial Protection Laws: What You Need to Know, With Special Guests Richard Cordray and Bret Ladine, General Counsel of the California DFPI," Webinar, September 29, 2020
- Panelist, "Compliance School," CFSA 2019 Annual Conference and Expo, Miami, Florida, March 20, 2019
- Co-author, "California Supreme Court: High-Interest Loans May Be Subject to Price Unconscionability Attack," Client Alert, August 17, 2018
- Co-author, "California Supreme Court to Decide Key Finance Lender Law Usury and Unconscionability Issue," Client Alert, August 17, 2017
- Co-author, "Dish Network Liable for $61 Million in Treble Damages for Service Provider's TCPA Violations," Client Alert, May 31, 2017
- Co-author, "The CFPB is Under Siege by all Three Branches of the Government," The Hill, February 17, 2017
- Co-author, "CFPB Continues Work on Student Loan Payback Playbook Disclosures," Client Alert, February 1, 2017
- February 16, 2021Michael Guerrero Adds Diversity to Hinshaw with Key In-House and Law Firm Experience in California