Jenelle La Chuisa is a litigator and arbitrator representing individuals and companies in international and domestic insurance coverage disputes arising out of property, casualty, professional liability, and builder’s risk policies. She works tirelessly to provide her clients with simple legal solutions for their often complex legal problems.
Throughout her career—which spans two decades—Jenelle has worked extensively with insurers. She handles a wide range of business and insurance matters, including insurance coverage, first party property, business contracts, business tort, fraud, and conspiracy cases.
As an advocate for clients in arbitration, Jenelle advises on the best practices for dispute resolution provisions and arbitration agreements. She has appeared before the International Chamber of Commerce, the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, and the American Arbitration Association (AAA). She serves as an arbitrator for Florida’s Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court (Miami-Dade County) and Seventeenth Judicial Circuit Court (Broward County).
Before joining Hinshaw, Jenelle bolstered her litigation and arbitration experience with firms throughout Florida. She recently practiced with a Florida-based firm and maintained her solo practice, La Chuisa Law.
- American Arbitration Association
- Commercial Cases Arbitrator
- Consumer Cases Arbitrator
- The Florida Bar
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- International Law Section
Honors & Awards
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2016 – 2021
- Recognized as "Florida's Legal Elite Up and Coming" by Florida Trend, 2014 – 2015
- Recognized on the Rising Stars list by Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2009 – 2011, 2013 – 2015
- John Edward Smith Award for Child Advocacy
- St. Thomas University School of Law
- Florida Bar Foundation Fellowship
- St. Thomas University School of Law
- Summary final judgment obtained as a result of insured’s violation of an aviation policy’s pilot warranty.
- Summary judgment obtained as a result of insured’s violation of captain warranty in marine policy.
- Favorable settlement for national insurer in highly contested coverage dispute arising out of alleged error in insured’s name.
- Favorable settlements in numerous first party property cases involving property damage to residential and commercial properties.
- Summary judgment affirmed on appeal in an insurance dispute regarding whether discrimination claims were covered under a national diner chain's restaurant's policy.
- Enforcement of International Chamber of Commerce award involving the nature of disclosures that arbitrators must make.
- International Chamber of Commerce arbitration award for South American distributor of agrochemicals against multinational company, for breach of agreement to purchase agrochemical business, including successful defense of motion to modify the arbitral award.
- Stopped litigation in Latin America brought by sales agent against multi-national corporation brought in violation of the parties' arbitral agreement.
- Vacated fraudulently obtained arbitration award for $6.6 billion.
Business Tort and Contract Matters
- Favorable settlement for aircraft maintenance and repair company against regional airline, following imposition of aircraft liens for unpaid debt.
- Representation of national real estate developer in claims against robotic garage manufacturer.
- Representation of South Florida real estate developer in claims adverse to condominium association pertaining to robotic garage.
- Favorable settlement for South American lender in claims against borrower and associates for conversion, fraud and conspiracy to defraud.
- Favorable settlement for state agency against collection attorney on claims for professional malpractice and disgorgement of attorney's fees in violation of bar rule requiring written contingency fee agreements, and successful defense at trial of counterclaim for quantum meruit attorney's fees.
- "Foreign Law Experts: Maximizing their Effectiveness to Win Your Case," iLaw (International Law Section of the Florida Bar) Annual Conference 2019, Miami, Florida, February 2019
- "International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution Trends: What to Expect in 2016 and Beyond," Live Webcast, January 2016
- "Litigation vs. Arbitration: Differences in Pleading, Practice & Procedure," Live Webcast, July 2015
- "Trust Arbitration – Can it Work?," ICC Young Arbitrator's Forum, Nassau, Bahamas, July 2015
- "The Art of Persuasion & Oral Argument," University of Miami School of Law's Fundamentals of International Arbitration, Miami, Florida, January 2015
- Chapter 20, "Awarding Interest in Arbitration," Wolter Kluwer's International Arbitration in the U.S., January 31, 2018
- "Fla. Atty, Client Can't Escape Suit Over $6M Arbitration Award," Law360, April 1, 2022
- Miami Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
- Women's Chamber of Commerce of Miami-Dade County, President, 2016, 2017; Secretary, 2013 – 2015; and Board Member, 2012 – 2013
J.D., cum laude, St. Thomas University School of Law, 2000
B.A., cum laude, University of Rochester, 1997
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle, Northern, and Southern Districts of Florida