Ashley Newman defends the interests of her clients in general commercial litigation and arbitration. Her wide-ranging litigation experience includes representing corporate clients in multimillion-dollar breach of contract claims, fire damage and business interruption litigation, and construction defect cases, as well as in coverage disputes involving risk management, commercial general liability, and directors and officers (D&O) liability.
Additionally, Ashley has helped companies navigate compliance with the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), and consumer fraud claims. With experience handling all aspects of litigation—from discovery and depositions to mediations, motion hearing, and trials—Ashley works with her clients to ensure they are informed throughout the process.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Ashley furthered her litigation knowledge with firms in New Jersey and New York. Most recently, she practiced in the New York office of a New Orleans-based firm.
- New York City Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized on the Rising Stars list by New York Metro Super Lawyers magazine, 2014 – 2019; 2021 – 2022
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Represented mortgage servicer in federal class action pertaining to alleged Fair Debt Collection Practices Act violation for pursuing time barred debt.
- Represented mortgage servicer in a federal action seeking damages for alleged Fair Credit Reporting Act violations.
- Represented financing company that provides indirect automobile financing to individuals in connection with a federal class action pertaining to storage fees charged for personal property found in repossessed vehicles.
- Co-Author, "Hand Delivery Service of Process Challenges in a Socially Distant World," New York Law Journal, May 15, 2020
- January 3, 2023
- McGrath and Newman Consider Potential Changes to New York's Service of Process Rules in Light of COVID-19 PandemicMay 15, 2020
- February 24, 2020Brian S. McGrath & Victor Matthews Join as Partners along with Three Associates
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
Outside of work, Ashley enjoys traveling with her husband and spending time with family and friends.
J.D., cum laude, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2011
B.A., summa cum laude, Villanova University, 2008
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of New York