Annie Santos focuses her practice in commercial and complex litigation. She has extensive experience handling life, health and disability litigation—both ERISA and non-ERISA—relating to employee benefits matters and managed care disputes. Annie is often called upon to defend employee benefit plans, insurers, third-party administrators, and plan fiduciaries. Her extensive experience includes handling life, health and disability, bad faith, and fiduciary duty claims, as well as provider disputes and pension disputes.
Over the course of her career, Annie has practiced in courts throughout the Midwest, including Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Leveraging her extensive and broad experience Annie assists clients and other Hinshaw attorneys across the country with complex federal litigation, including: class action and multidistrict litigation, health care litigation, consumer financial services litigation, and environmental, toxic tort, construction, and product liability matters.
A portion of Annie's practice is also devoted to general business litigation and labor and employment matters. Prior to joining Hinshaw, Annie practiced at a Minneapolis-based civil litigation firm. Before embarking on her legal career, Annie was a compliance and operations specialist in San Diego for the international brokerage firm Merrill Lynch.
- American Bar Association
- The Fashion Group International
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized on the Rising Stars list by Minnesota Super Lawyers magazine, 2015 – 2018
- Multimillion dollar settlement for individuals with developmental disabilities who were systematically subjected to restraint and seclusion.
- Obtained summary judgment for contractor in multimillion dollar construction dispute.
- Secured summary judgment for pharmacy in a wrongful death case involving fentanyl.
- "ERISA Disability Case Law Update," Hinshaw's Fourth Biennial Definitive Disability Conference (DDC), Boston, Massachusetts, October 18, 2019
- October 5, 2020The LHD/ERISA Advisor
- June 3, 2020
Annie is an avid runner and enjoys spending time with her family and volunteering as the school nurse and lunch lady at her daughters' school.
- Federal Pro Se Project, Volunteer Attorney
J.D., University of St. Thomas School of Law
B.A., University of St. Thomas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota