Andrew Gordon is a litigator who focuses his practice in the representation of management-side labor and employment matters such as defending employers against state and federal discrimination, sex harassment, wage and hour, and retaliation claims, as well as FLSA collective actions, DOL compliance audits, whistleblower claims, and litigating non-compete/trade secret issues. Mr. Gordon has represented large and small employers through all stages of litigation. He also advises employers on a range of human resources policy and compliance issues and conducts on-site management and employee training. Mr. Gordon also has extensive complex business litigation experience in contract disputes, business disputes, real estate litigation, banking litigation, commercial landlord/tenant disputes, class action litigation, and other various complex business litigation matters. He is involved in all stages of federal and state litigation and arbitration, including drafting motions, memoranda, and briefs, conducting research, and attending depositions, motion hearings, court appearances, and trials.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in March 2014, Mr. Gordon was an associate at Fowler White Boggs P.A. where he gained experience in complex business litigation. Mr. Gordon began his legal career at Ruden McClosky P.A.
During law school, Mr. Gordon held a series of clerkships, including with Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc., the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and Ruden McClosky P.A.
In addition to his other law school accomplishments, Mr. Gordon was awarded Best Oralist and Best Brief in the 2007 International Moot Court Intramural Competition and Third Best Memorial in the 2008 Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition. Mr. Gordon was a member of the Dean's List and the recipient of a Book Award for Torts II. In addition, he was a senior representative to the American Bar Association.
- Broward County Bar Association, Member, Young Lawyers Division
Honors & Awards
- "On the Rise" Professional Excellence Award from the Daily Business Review, 2018
- Finalist, "Up and Comer Award," South Florida Business & Wealth Magazine, 2018
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2013–Present
- Recognized as "Florida's Legal Elite Up and Coming" by Florida Trend's 2016
Mr. Gordon's legal analysis of a sexual harassment case and its implications for employers was the subject of a Corporate Counsel article for its In-House Straight series, titled "Policies and Procedures Lower Sex Harassment Liability." Other publications include:
- "Beginning next year, Florida’s minimum wage is going up," Employment Law Observer, October 26, 2016.
- "Supreme Court Backs Whistleblowing Air Marshall," Employment Law Observer, January 23, 2015.
- "Court Denies EEOC’s Broad Subpoena Requests," Employment Practices Newsletter, December 1, 2014.
- "11th Circuit: The EEOC Can't Always Get What It Wants," Employment Law Observer, November 19, 2014.
- "Security Guard Terminated After Incident With Psychiatric Patient Cannot Advance Discrimination Claims," Employment Practices Newsletter, October 1, 2014.
- "Security Guard Terminated After Incident with Psychiatric Patient Cannot Advance Discrimination Claims," HR Legal Blog, September 29, 2014.
- "Fifth Circuit Broadens Definition of "Adverse Employment Action" under Title VII," HR Legal Blog, September 24, 2014.
- "Dodd-Frank Act's Whistleblower Protections Do Not Extend to Foreign Tipsters," Employment Practices Newsletter, September 1, 2014.
- "Second Circuit: Dodd-Frank Act's Whistleblower Protections Do Not Extend to Foreign Tipsters," HR Legal Blog, August 15, 2014.
- "Prevention and Corrective Policies Help Employer to Avoid Sexual Harassment Liability," HR Legal Blog, July 31, 2014.
- "Trucking Company Did Not Violate ADA or FMLA When it Fired an Alcoholic Driver," Employment Practices Newsletter, July 1, 2014.
- "Eleventh Circuit Finds Employee Fired for Inadequate Skills, Not Race," Employment Practices Newsletter, June 1, 2014.
- Hinshaw Partner Andrew Gordon Receives 2018 Daily Business Review 'On the Rise" Professional Excellence AwardJune 6, 2018
- May 11, 2018
- April 4, 2018
- June 30, 2017
- December 31, 2015
- July 7, 2015
- In Florida, One-Event Sexual Advance at a Non-Work Sponsored Party Can Support Sexual Harassment and Retaliation Claims
- Beginning next year, Florida’s minimum wage is going up.
- 11th Circuit Upholds bar on Claims by Jail Officer with Cancer
- Department of Labor: Married Same-Sex Couples have FMLA Rights Regardless of State of Residence
- Supreme Court Backs Whistleblowing Air Marshall
- 11th Circuit: The EEOC can't Always get what it Wants
- Security Guard Terminated After Incident with Psychiatric Patient Cannot Advance Discrimination Claims
- Fifth Circuit Broadens Definition of "Adverse Employment Action" under Title VII
- Second Circuit: Dodd-Frank Act's Whistleblower Protections do not Extend to Foreign Tipsters
- Prevention and Corrective Policies help Employer to Avoid Sexual Harassment Liability
- Trucking Company did not Violate ADA or the FMLA when it Fired an Alcoholic Driver
Employment Law Observer
- May 1, 2015
- March 2, 2015
- February 2, 2015
- December 1, 2014
- October 1, 2014
- September 2, 2014
- July 1, 2014
- June 2, 2014
Mr. Gordon is active in his community through a number of civic organizations, including:
- City of Ft. Lauderdale Board of Adjustment, Member
- City of Ft. Lauderdale Civil Service Board, Member
- Greater Ft. Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, Member, Former Governmental Affairs Committee and Business First Committee
- Riverwalk Ft. Lauderdale, Member, Advisory Board and Master Plan and Projects Committee
- Victoria Park Civic Association, Member, President, Former Vice President, and Former Representative to the Council of Ft. Lauderdale Civic Associations
- Victoria Park Place Homeowners Association, Member, Board of Directors (2013 – 2015)
J.D., cum laude, St. Thomas University of Law, 2009
- St. Thomas University Law Review, Notes and Comments Editor
- International Moot Court Board, President
B.A., International Affairs & Political Science, Florida State University, 2006
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida