Stephen Moore is a health care lawyer who serves as a trusted advisor to health care systems, hospitals, physician groups, surgery centers and other health care providers. Mr. Moore counsels his clients on a variety of corporate, transactional and regulatory matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate organization and governance, tax exemption, Stark, Anti-Kickback Statute and regulatory compliance, physician compensation, and physician integration strategies. Clients find him talented at creating common sense solutions to complex problems and transactions, always focused on their business objectives. and serving as a valued member of their team. For more than 30 years Mr. Moore has helped health care providers navigate the myriad of complex healthcare laws and regulations by serving as a valued member of their team.
Following graduation from Drake Law School, with honors, Mr. Moore first served as an Assistant Attorney General of the Iowa Department of Justice, briefing and arguing over a dozen cases before the Iowa Supreme Court, and then served as law clerk to the Chief Justice of the Iowa Supreme Court.
Early in his career in private practice, Mr. Moore represented entrepreneurs, closely held businesses, financial institutions, manufacturers and publicly traded companies in a variety of commercial litigation matters as well as in business formation, mergers and acquisitions, financings, contracts and commercial real estate transactions.
Mr. Moore has held a number of leadership positions in the firm since he joined in 1984. He is currently the leader of the firm's National Health Care Practice Group which serves the regulatory, transactional and litigation needs of all health care providers.
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys
- Board of Directors (1990–1993)
- Secretary/Treasurer (1993)
- American Health Lawyers Association
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Selected as a "2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Mergers & Acquisitions" by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the category of Health Law annually since 2005
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine
A selection of Mr. Moore’s representations includes:
- A multi-hospital regional integrated health care delivery system in negotiation of agreement for acquisition of a large urban acute care hospital integrated delivery system, providing for a local fiduciary board with management responsibility over other facilities and services of acquiring entity.
- A hospital system in the acquisition or all of the assets of a critical access hospital.
- A hospital system in the acquisition of a community hospital through a change of control affiliation agreement.
- Hospital systems in sales of nursing homes.
- A hospital district in conversion to a tax exempt not for profit corporation and construction of replacement critical access hospital.
- A hospital system in acquisition in all of the stock of a professional corporation employing over thirty-five cardiologists and cardiovascular surgeons.
- A hospital system in the acquisition of all of the assets of cardiology practice, including employment of over twenty cardiologists.
- A hospital system in acquisition of two thirty-plus member multi-specialty physician group practices.
- A multi-specialty group practice in sale of all corporate stock to a community hospital.
- A hospital system in the organization/syndication of joint ventures with independent surgeons of two multi-specialty surgery centers.
- A hospital system in the organization of joint venture imaging center with radiologists.
- A hospital system in the organization of a joint venture sleep center with neurologists.
Mr. Moore has spoken at the annual meetings of the American Health Lawyers Association, the Annual Health Law Symposium of the Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys and the American Association for Clinical Chemistry, Inc.
He has also made presentations at conferences sponsored by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, and at several seminars attended by hospital governing boards, medical staffs, nursing staffs and administrators. His presentations include:
- "Medical Error Disclosure Programs: Legal and Ethical Issues," OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center Ethics Committee, December 2016.
- "The Fair Housing Act and Recent Litigation Trends in Senior Living Facilities," Hinshaw's Breakfast Seminar Series, Rockford, Illinois, October 11, 2016.
- "Health Care Reform: Business, Technology and Regulatory Developments," Hinshaw’s Annual Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2012.
- "Good Governance Practices/Board Independence," FHN Governance Committee, Freeport, Illinois, April 2012.
- "Board of Directors Education and Training: Compliance, Board Responsibilities and Duties, Board Effectiveness," Midwest Medical Center Board of Directors, Galena, Illinois, March 2012.
- "State of Illinois Issues: Real Estate Tax Exemption and CON Updates," Hinshaw’s Annual Healthcare Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2011.
- "Perspectives on Health Care Reform," Hinshaw’s 2010 Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2010.
- "Organ and Tissue Procurement: Conflict Between Family and Decedent," OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center Ethics Committee, Rockford, Illinois, April 2010.
- "Anatomy of a Practice Acquisition," Hinshaw’s 2008 Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2008.
- "Hospital Tax Exemption and the Illinois Department of Revenue," Illinois Hospital Association, live teleconference, October 2008.
- "Obtaining and Maintaining Property and Sales Tax Exemptions," Hinshaw’s 2007 Health Care Conference: Current Issues Affecting the Governance and Management of Hospitals and Health Systems, Oakbrook, November 2007.
- "Q&A Experts Panel," Rockford College Northern Illinois Center for Nonprofit Excellence seminar, "Earned Income for Nonprofits," Rockford, Illinois, August 2007.
- "Update on Two Emerging Joint Venture Structures," OSF Healthcare System, Peoria, Illinois, January 2007.
- "Joint Ventures: Alternatives and Strategies," Hinshaw’s 2006 Health Care Conference, "Current Issues Affecting Health System and Hospital Boards and Management," Chicago, Illinois, September 2006.
- "Negligent Credentialing - Legal and Practical Concerns," Saint Anthony Medical Staff Leadership, Rockford, Illinois, January 2006.
- "Joint Venture Ambulatory Surgery Centers: Legal Practical Concerns," OSF Saint Francis Medical Center I-80 Board Education Series 2005, LaSalle-Peru, Illinois, November 2005.
- "From Concept to Execution: Building and Executing a Joint Venture to Engage Physicians and Improve the Delivery of Care," Hospital Joint Ventures seminar, World Research Group, Chicago, Illinois, October 2005.
- "Understanding the Current Legal Framework Concerning Joint Ventures," Hospital Joint Ventures seminar, World Research Group, Chicago, Illinois, October 2005.
- "Best Practices for Governance," Health Care Financial Management Association Fall Conference, Utica, Illinois, October 2005.
- "Corporate Governance, Best Practices, Sarbanes-Oxley and Audit Committees," Hinshaw’s 2005 Health Care Conference "Current Issues Affecting Health System and Hospital Boards and Management," Chicago, Illinois, September 2005.
- "Health Care Law Update," Hinshaw’s Breakfast Seminar Series, Rockford, Illinois, March 2005.
- "Orchestrating Successful Mergers and Acquisitions of Health Care Providers," author, Chapter 1, "Inside the Minds: Navigating Health Care M&A Transactions," Aspatore, published by Thomson Reuters, July 2013.
- "Charity Care Update,” author, "2008 Health Law and Compliance Update," published by Aspen Publications, 2007.
- “Controlled Substances,” co-author, "Law of Medical Practice in Illinois," third edition, 2007.
- “Organ and Tissue Transplant – Anatomical Gifts,” co-author, "Law of Medical Practice in Illinois," third edition, 2007.
- September 20, 2016
- April 13, 2015
- July 1, 2013
- January 1, 2012
- Illinois Supreme Court Declines to Rule on Constitutionality of Illinois Hospitals' Property Tax Exemption LawMarch 30, 2017Health Law Alert
- December 21, 2016
- June 23, 2016Health Law Alert
- June 22, 2016Health Law Alert
- June 20, 2016Health Law Alert
- May 20, 2016Health Law Alert
- November 23, 2015Health Law Alert
- November 12, 2015Health Law Alert
- January 26, 2015Health Law Alert
- June 14, 2012Health Law Alert
- March 19, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- DEA Approval Necessary to Act on Recent Amendments to Illinois Law Granting APNs and PAs the Authority to Prescribe Schedule II Controlled SubstancesFebruary 5, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- Illinois Supreme Court Declares Statutory Limits on the Recovery of Non-Economic Damages UnconstitutionalFebruary 4, 2010Hinshaw Alert
- January 19, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
Mr. Moore’s extensive community activities reflect the health care emphasis of his legal practice.
- OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center Ethics Committee Member
- OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Advisory Board Honorary Member and Past President
- OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center Foundation Council, Past Board Member and Current Member of Finance Committee
- OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center Internal Review Board Past Member
- Northern Illinois Hospice Association, Past Board Member
- Crusaders Health Foundation, Past President
- Rock River Valley Blood Center, Past Board Member
- Jeremiah Development, NFP, Past President
- River District Association, Past President
J.D., with honors, Drake University, 1973
B.S., Western Illinois University, 1971
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa