John Ryan’s litigation practice includes an emphasis in defending consumer class actions. Mr. Ryan handles matters involving consumer protection statutes and class actions. He has a strong research and writing background. Mr. Ryan has written numerous successful motions, including several motions which defeated large consumer class actions.
Mr. Ryan has successfully defended both companies and attorneys in numerous class actions involving the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Illinois Collection Agency Act (ICAA), the Indiana Collection Agency Act, the Indiana Uniform Consumer Credit Code (IUCCC), the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act (ICFA), the Indiana Deceptive Consumer Sales Act (IDCSA) as well as other common law and statutory claims. Mr. Ryan has become a leading defense counsel in the collection industry for cases involving licensing issues. Mr. Ryan has vigorously defended over 20 consumer class actions which were based upon the defendant allegedly needing but not having a license to collect under some state statute. Mr. Ryan received several favorable opinions on this issue in both Illinois and Indiana. Mr. Ryan convinced the Illinois Supreme Court to issue an opinion in favor of his client wherein the debtor argued that the judgment against him was void because the plaintiff did not have a license.
Mr. Ryan has achieved success at both the trial and appellate court levels. His experience allows him to craft a cost-effective defense strategy at the outset of a case.
Mr. Ryan joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in August 2006. Previously he was a summer associate in 2005, and then a clerk with the firm since September 2005.
Mr. Ryan is a member of ACA International and NARCA. He was recognized as an "Emerging Leader" by Leading Lawyers Magazine in 2015.
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- ACA International
"The Supreme Court's Trilogy on Consumer Law - Gomez, Spokeo and Gillie - How Will These Opinions Affect Your Practice?," The National Creditors Bar Association, 2016 Fall Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 29, 2016.
- "Extra Judicial Efforts to Regulate Attorney Debt Collection Harms the Profession, Clients and the Courts," Annual Consumer Financial Services Conference, Chicago, Illinois, September 16, 2016.
- "The Ethical Implications on the Use of Technology," The Illinois Credit Union League's 39th Annual Attorneys' Conference, September 9, 2016.
- "The Continuing Evolution of the TCPA," Lorman Education Services, webinar, July 2016.
- "Licensing Requirements and Their Implication on Collection Attorneys," Defense Bar Education Session, NARCA 2014 Fall Collection Conference, October 2014.
Mr. Ryan assisted in the research and editing of "The Class Action Fairness Act of 2005 – Navigating Through its Sea of Uncertainty, Parts I and II," which was authored by Hinshaw attorney, Steven M. Puiszis, and published in For the Defense, Vol. 47, Nos. 10 and 11, Defense Research Institute, October and November 2005, and also in The John Marshall Law Review, Volume 40, Fall 2006, Number 1.
- December 6, 2016
- April 1, 2015
- March 5, 2015
- July 1, 2013
- January 20, 2016Consumer Financial Services Alert
- June 9, 2015
- March 23, 2015
- September 18, 2014
- June 23, 2014
- April 22, 2014
- July 12, 2013
- June 5, 2012
- February 28, 2012Corporate / Financial Institutions Alert
- March 1, 2011
- January 6, 2011
- October 4, 2010
- Commercial Litigation
- Compliance, Investigations and Enforcement
- Consumer and Class Action Litigation
- Consumer Financial Services
- Litigators for the Profession®
- Mortgage Servicing and Lender Litigation
- Personal Injury/Property Damage Defense Litigation
- The Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Workers' Compensation Defense
J.D., cum laude, The John Marshall Law School, 2006
- Member, Moot Court Executive Board
B.B.A., St. Norbert College, 2002
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana