Anthony Jacob practices law in the areas of business law, banking and commercial finance law and real estate law.
Mr. Jacob is engaged in general corporate practice, including various aspects of private merger, acquisition, divestiture and employee benefit matters. In addition, Mr. Jacob’s practice includes secured and unsecured lending transactions, asset securitization and structured finance, ESOP loans, initial debt and equity offerings, primary and secondary debt offerings, corporate reorganizations and restructuring, joint ventures and syndicated commercial financing transactions. His clients include domestic and foreign corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships, and banks and other commercial lending institutions.
Additionally, Mr. Jacob represents real estate developers with real estate acquisitions, divestitures, and condominium conversions. He serves as outside general counsel to certain real estate development companies, assisting with their construction, development and liability protection strategies.
Mr. Jacob also practices Illinois election law. He counsels local and state elected officials and their political committees. He also represents the political action committees of corporations, not for profit corporations, partnerships, associations and other business entities. Mr. Jacob formerly represented the Friends of Blagojevich political committee.
Before joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in December 2000, Mr. Jacob served as deputy general counsel for the Illinois State Board of Elections and as an attorney with a Chicago law firm representing school districts, special education districts and other local governmental bodies.
Institute of Illinois Business Law at Chicago-Kent College of Law, Board Member
- The John Marshall Law School, Investment Committee Member of Board of Trustees (2013 to present)
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) Member
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) Business and Securities Law Section Council, Chairman (2012)
- Chicago Bar Association
He has given numerous presentations in conjunction with the National Business Institute, Illinois State Bar Association, IASB, IASA and IASBO. His other presentations include:
- "Entity Selection 101," Starting Points: Fundamentals of Forming a Business Entity, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Chicago, Illinois, April 2014.
- "ESOPs from A to Z," U.S. Trust, Bank of America, Private Wealth Management, Chicago, Illinois, October 2013.
- "Loan Guaranty Enforcement: 'Bad Boy,' Upstream, Affiliated and Other Agreements; Best Practices for Lenders and Guarantors In and Outside of Bankruptcy," Strafford Publications, Inc., live teleconference, October 2013.
- "A to Z for Bank ESOPs," CBAI's 39th Annual Convention & Expo, Springfield, Illinois, September 2013.
- "Commercial Loan Documents in Action: Analyzing Key Provisions," Commercial Loans - Building Lender Protections From Start to Finish Seminar, live videoconference, October 2012.
- "Employee Stock Ownership Plans as a Business and Tax Planning Vehicle", Strafford Publications, live webinar, January 2012.
- “Commercial Loan Guaranty Agreements – Enforcing and Defending ‘Bad Boy,’ Upstream, Affiliated and Other Personal and Corporate Guaranties,” Strafford Publications, Inc., live teleconference, November 2011.
- “Leveraged ESOPs 101,” Hinshaw Breakfast Briefing for Accountants, Schererville, Indiana, October 2011.
Mr. Jacob is the author of numerous articles on the topics of the organization and restructuring of corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships, and arbitration of employment disputes.
His publications include:
- “State Campaign Financial Disclosure,” author, Chapter 7, IICLE publication entitled “Election Law 2012 Edition,” 2012 edition.
- “Enforcing the Commercial Guaranty Agreement,” co-author, American Bar Association’s Commercial Law Newsletter, December 2011.
- "Piercing the Corporate Veil,” Corporation, Securities & Business Law Forum, the newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association’s Section on Corporation, Securities and Business Law, March 15, 2011.
- “Checklist for third-party attorney opinions,” published in Corporations, Securities & Business Law Forum, the newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association’s Section on Corporation, Securities and Business Law, Volume 56, Number 2, January 2011.
- "Expanding Judicial Review to Encourage Employers and Employees to Enter the Arbitration Arena,” 30 J. Marshall. L. Review 1099, 1997.
- August 27, 2015
- Anthony Jacob Appointed to Board of the Institute of Illinois Business Law at Chicago-Kent College of LawOctober 20, 2014
- January 27, 2014
- January 2, 2014
- Anthony Jacob Appointed to The John Marshall Law School's Investment Committee of the Board of TrusteesNovember 20, 2013
- October 19, 2012
- December 11, 2013
- Gilda’s Club Chicago, Associate Board
- Served as pro bono counsel for an economic and family development council in the West Humboldt Park area of Chicago and still provides pro bono legal services to many local school district educational foundations
- County of DeKalb
- County Board Commissioner, Past
- Forest Preserve Commissioner, Past
- Board of Education for the Skokie-Morton Grove School District No. 69, Past Board Member
LL.M., The John Marshall Law School, 2003, Taxation and Employee Benefits
J.D., The John Marshall Law School, 1998
- Student Publications Editor, The John Marshall Law Review
- Member, Moot Court Team
B.A., Northern Illinois University, 1994
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois