Anthony Antognoli focuses his business practice on the representation of large and mid-size clients in the areas of employee benefits, federal taxation, and tax-exempt organization matters.
Mr. Antognoli advises employers on the design and drafting of qualified retirement plans, nonqualified deferred compensation plans, equity compensation plans and welfare benefit plans. He also regularly counsels employers on a broad range of related issues, including multiemployer pension plan withdrawal liability, employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs), educational assistance plans and other fringe benefit programs, and requirements for the investment of plan assets. He has recently devoted a substantial portion of his practice to advising employers on complying with 2010’s health care reform legislation and related guidance.
Mr. Antognoli primarily counsels clients on transactional matters, with a focus on issues arising in mergers and acquisitions. He has served as lead ERISA counsel in a $320 million acquisition of an industrial firm, as co-tax and ERISA counsel in the $90.5 million sale of a managed care firm, and as co-tax and ERISA counsel in the acquisitions of several tax-exempt health care systems.
Mr. Antognoli joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in April 2003.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Taxation LL.M. program, Adjunct faculty member (2007–Present)
- Chicago Bar Association, Employee Benefits Committee, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, IRS Liaison Subcommittee, Chair (2005–2007)
- ESOP Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Joint Committee on Employee Benefits, Member
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2012, 2013 and 2014)
He has also represented clients in controversies before the Internal Revenue Service and U.S. Department of Labor, and in litigation in the United States Tax Court and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. His reported cases include:
- DeGrave v. National Automatic Merchandising Association, 39 Benefits Cas. 2871 (N.D. Ill. 2007)
- DeGrave v. National Automatic Merchandising Association Pension Plan, 392 F.Supp.2d 1032 (N.D. Ill. 2005)
His presentations include:
- "Illinois Secure Choice Act Requirements and Association Retirement Plans," Technology and Manufacturing Association, Schaumburg, Illinois, February 9, 2017.
- "What to Do When the Wolf Comes Knocking: Anticipating and Surviving IRS and DOL Investigations of Employee Benefit Plans," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2016.
- "Group Health Plans in the ACA World," College Of Imaging Administrators, Eighteenth Annual Spring Assembly, Lisle, Illinois, May 5, 2016.
"Avoiding Fiduciary Pitfalls and Tar Pits: Best Practices for Retirement Plans," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2015.
"Practical Tips for Navigating the Latest Challenges in Employee Benefits Law," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2014.
- "Health Care Reform Update," DuPage Society for Human Resource Management Legislative Update, Lisle, Illinois, March 20, 2014.
- "A to Z for Bank ESOPs," Community Bankers Association of Illinois Seminar for the Community Bank Attorney, Springfield, Illinois, November 15, 2013.
- "The Employer Mandate Under Health Care Reform: Take a Deep Breath and Get Ready for 2015," Annual Hinshaw L&E seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2, 2013.
- "Countdown to 2014 — Offering Health Care Coverage to Employees: Who, What, How, and When?" Hinshaw breakfast briefing and national webinar, Chicago, Illinois, June 27, 2013.
- "Health Care Reform Update: DuPage SHRM Legislative Update," DuPage Society for Human Resource Management, Lisle, Illinois, March 21, 2013.
- “Labor and Employment Law Update for Health Care Employers,” Hinshaw’s Annual Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2012.
- “Affordable Care Act After the Supreme Court Decision,” Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2012.
- "Health Care Reform: It's Alive (for Now)," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2012.
- "The Affordable Care Act: A Primer,” Significant Recent Legal Changes Impacting Wisconsin Businesses seminar, Brookfield, Wisconsin, September 2012.
- "Employee Stock Ownership Plans as a Business and Tax Planning Vehicle", Strafford Publications, live webinar, January 2012.
- "Using Leveraged ESOPs," Northern Trust, Chicago, Illinois, May 2011.
- "The Evolving Look of Health Care Reform," DuPage Society for Human Resource Management, Lisle, Illinois, April 2011.
- “Health Care Reform: Where We Are Now,” Illinois Association of School Boards’ Joint Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois, November 2010.
- “Perspectives on Health Care Reform,” Hinshaw’s 2010 Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2010.
- “Health Care Reform: Where We Are Now,” 2010 Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2010.
- “Health Care Reform,” Hinshaw Breakfast Briefing, Chicago, Illinois, April 2010.
- “Health Care Reform: The Uncertain Shape of Things to Come,” DuPage SHRM Legislative Update Meeting, Naperville, Illinois, April 2010.
- “Employee Benefits Update – Health Care Reform,” Hinshaw’s 2009 Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2009.
- “Mediation Skills and Strategies,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 12th Annual Employment Labor Law Update, Champaign, Illinois, March 2009.
- “Annual Employee Benefits Update,” Hinshaw’s Labor & Employment seminar, Oak Brook, Illinois, November 2008.
- “Wellness Programs: Navigating the Waters,” Mid American Group, Inc. 2008 Employee Benefits Seminar and Luncheon, Oak Brook, Illinois, May 2008.
- “Keeping Up with 403(b) Compliance,” Professional Development Alliance of Will County Boards of Education, Joliet, Illinois, January 2008.
- “Employee Benefits Issues in Individual and Mass Terminations,” Hinshaw’s “Effectively Dealing with Current Labor & Employment Issues” seminar, Chicago, Illinois, September 2007.
- “Retaining Employees Through Employee Benefit Programs,” Life Services Network, 2007 Annual Convention & Exposition, Chicago, Illinois, March 2007.
- “Selected Provisions of the Pension Protection Act of 2006,” Hinshaw’s “Effectively Dealing with Current Labor & Employment Issues” seminar, Lisle, Illinois, November 2006.
- “The Latest Regulatory and Legislative Changes Affecting Employee Benefits,” Hinshaw’s “Effectively Dealing with Current Labor & Employment Issues” seminar, Chicago, Illinois, September 2005 and again in Lisle, Illinois, November 2005.
Mr. Antognoli is a co-author of Chapter Seven, “Special Employee Plan Issues Arising in Mass Employment Terminations,” of the “Employment Termination Practice Handbook,” published by the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education in 2011 and 2013. He was quoted in “Fiduciaries Take the Heat,” an article published in the August 2009 edition of Human Resource Executive magazine.
His other publications include:
- Co-author of comments of the Chicago Bar Association’s Employee Benefits Committee regarding future of the Employee Plans determination letter program, August 2003.
- "State Taxation of Business Trusts: Limits, Concerns and Opportunities," co-author, Journal of Multi-State Taxation in February 2000 and reprinted by Business Entities, September/October 2000.
- "Fiduciary Duties Under the 'Serious Consideration' Standard," co-author, DC Plan Investing, November 2000.
- April 1, 2015
- Anthony Antognoli Quoted in Crain's Chicago Business Article on Troubled Employees and Workplace ViolenceSeptember 16, 2014
- November 25, 2013
- November 20, 2013
- January 1, 2012
- EEOC Issues Sample Notice for Employers Offering Wellness Programs
- EEOC Issues Final Regulations on Wellness Programs Anthony E. Antognoli, Aimee E. Delaney
- New IRS Initiative Highlights Trust Fund Tax Compliance Issues
- The Dangers of Reimbursing Employees for Individual Health Insurance Premiums — and the Limited Relief for Small Employers
- October 1 Deadline Approaching for Employers to Issue “Notice of Coverage Options” to Employees
- Seventh Circuit Upholds Arbitrator’s Reduction of Withdrawal Liability
- Plan Fiduciaries Entitled to a Presumption of Reasonableness in Employer Stock Drop Cases
Employment Law Observer
- June 2, 2016
- January 5, 2016
- April 1, 2014
- February 3, 2014
- October 1 Deadline Approaching for Employers, Including Schools, to Issue "Notice of Coverage Options" to EmployeesSeptember 19, 2013Hinshaw School Law Alert
- September 12, 2013Employment Practices Alert
- REMINDER OF JULY 31, 2013 DEADLINE: Employers Sponsoring Self-Insured Health Plans Must Pay New Health Care Reform "Fee" by July 31, 2013July 23, 2013Employment Practices Alert
- July 3, 2013Employment Practices Alert
- April 1, 2013
- February 1, 2013
- October 1, 2012
- September 4, 2012
- February 3, 2012Health Law Alert
- December 1, 2011
- June 7, 2011Employment Practices Special Alert
- January 3, 2011
- October 1, 2010
- September 1, 2010
- July 1, 2010
- June 8, 2010Hinshaw Alert
J.D., Certificate in Tax Law, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2000
B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Tax Court