Ambrose McCall advises clients on a range of employment issues, including regulatory, compliance or employee program matters. In addition, he represents a number of clients in commercial litigation, real estate litigation, and construction litigation matters. He also defends clients against claims of professional liability, employment discrimination, and civil rights. Mr. McCall’s clients include a wide variety of insurers, professionals, and business entities throughout Illinois.
Mr. McCall joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in January 2006. Previously, from 1997 to 2005, he was an attorney, partner and then equity partner with the New Orleans firm of Deutsch, Kerrigan & Stiles, L.L.P. Prior to that, he practiced in Peoria for 10 years with both Harvey & Stuckel, Chartered and Benassi & Benassi, P.C.
In addition to his other law school achievements, Mr. McCall was the recipient of two American Jurisprudence Awards, Antitrust in 1987 and Professional Responsibility in 1986.
He graduated from the International Association of Defense Counsel’s Trial Academy in 1999.
He is an April 2007 graduate of Peoria County’s Civic Leadership Program.
- Federal Bar Association, Membership Committee of the Civil Rights Section, Co-Chair
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section Council, Member
- Labor and Employment Section Council, Member (2010)
- Federal Civil Practice Section Council, Member
- Peoria County Bar Association
- Local Continuing Legal Education Committee
- Real Property Committee
- Courts & Procedures Committee, Federal Division
Honors & Awards
- Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for ethics and legal ability
Mr. McCall represents multiple insurers, employers, businesses, land owners and governmental entities throughout Illinois. His representative cases have included:
- All Star Advertising Agency, Inc. v. Reliance Insurance Co., 2004-1544, 898 So. 2d 369 (La. 4/12/05). The Louisiana Supreme Court reversed the Louisiana Court of Appeal and held that the Pennsylvania laws governing insolvent insurers are reciprocal with the Louisiana laws governing insolvent insurers, thereby barring plaintiff’s claims.
- Bauer v. Dyer, 782 So.2d 1133 (La. Ct. App. 5th Cir. 2001), writ denied, 2001 WL 609920 (La. May 25, 2001). The Louisiana Court of Appeal affirmed a summary judgment obtained for a lawyer on the grounds that the attorney defendant could not have won the underlying case.
- Ulysses Williams v. The Orleans Levee District And Its Board of Commissioners, Case No. 2000-C-2455 (La. Co. App. 4th Cir. 1/8/01), plaintiffs’ writ denied by Louisiana Supreme Court resulting in dismissal of great majority of employment and retaliation claims.
- William C. Deloney, et al. v. Bogalusa City School Board, U.S. District Court, E.D. La., C.A. No. 00-3081, Summary Judgment for Defendants (3/15/01). A First Amendment school uniform case involving the wearing of religious symbols.
- Drennan v. Killian, 712 So.2d 978 (La. Ct. App. 5th Cir. 1998). The Louisiana Court of Appeal affirmed a summary judgment obtained for the lawyer defendant after finding that the defendant correctly argued that the claims had prescribed.
- Griffith v. Keystone Steel & Wire Co., 858 F.Supp 802 (C.D. Ill. 1994), 887 F.Supp 1133 (C.D. Ill. 1995), 1995 U.S. Dist LEXIS 11686 (C.D. Ill. June 6, 1995), 1995 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11685 (C.D. Ill. July 12, 1995). Recognizing pre-Oncale basis for same-sex harassment case.
Mr. McCall has lectured and presented papers many times on such diverse topics as employment law, attorney malpractice and ethics, commercial litigation issues and claims against governmental entities. He served as co-chair of the 2012 Peoria County Bar Association Professional Responsibility Seminar. Additionally, Mr. McCall has been interviewed about social media issues on Peoria’s “Greg and Dan” morning radio show on WMDB, 1470 AM. His presentations include:
"Cautionary Case Law" section of the CNA & Pearl Insurance "Ahead of the Curve - Risk Management for Lawyers," Peoria Civic Center, Peoria, Illinois, July 18, 2016.
"Retaliatory Discharge and Whistleblower Cases," Sterling Workers' Compensation Seminar, Bloomington, Illinois, June 9, 2016.
"The Challenges of Using Social Media in Workers' Compensation Claims," Lorman Education Services, webinar, May 2016.
"Weight Loss at the Workplace: Legal Issues in Reducing Health Care Costs and Promoting Wellness," Lorman Education Services, webinar, January 2016.
"Your Legal Responsibilities When Monitoring Your Employees On and Off the Clock," Lorman Education Services, webinar, November 2015.
"Employment Law: Beyond the Baics," Sterling Education Services Seminar, Bloomingon, Illinois, October 2015.
- "Today’s Fair Labor Standards Act," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2015.
"The Challenges of Using Social Media in Workers' Compensation Claims" Lorman Education Services, live webinar, September 2015.
- "The Competitive Edge - Law Practice Risk Management." Presented "Establishing Client Intake Procedures" and "The Conflicts Conundrum: Avoiding and Managing Conflicts of Interest," CNA Seminar, Peoria, Illinois, July 2015.
"Retaliatory Discharge Issues and the Illinois Whistleblower Act" and "Workers' Compensation Attorney and Ethical and Professional Behavior," Sterling Education Services, Inc. Advanced Workers' Compensation Seminar, Bloomington, Illinois, June 2015.
- "How to Achieve Wage and Hour Compliance in the Current Economy," Hinshaw's
Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2014.
"The Conflicts Conundrum: Avoiding and Managing Conflicts of Interest," CNA Risk Control Seminar - The Competitive Edge: Law Practice Management, Peoria, Illinois, July 2014.
- "Retaliatory Discharge Actions Under Illinois Law," Sterling Education's Workers' Compensation Law & Practice Seminar, Bloomington, Illinois, June 2014.
- "New Business Employee Issues on Social Media," 2014 Illinois Entrepreneurship and Small Business Association Conference, Normal, Illinois, May 2014.
- "Causes of Action for Retaliatory Discharge," Peoria Bar Association Brown Bag Seminar, Peoria, Illinois, March 2014.
- "Weight Loss at the Workplace: Legal Issues in Reducing Health Care Costs and Promoting Wellness," Lorman Education Services, live seminar, January 2014.
- "Update on Social Media," live webcast, West LegalEdcenter, December 2013.
- "Ethical and Practical Advice for Handling Mistakes (With an Update on Law)," "The Adaptable Lawyer," CNA, Peoria, Illinois, July 2013.
- "Social Networking in the Workplace: Legal Principles, State-of-the-Art Policies and Emerging Issues," Lorman Education Services, live webinar, July 2013.
- "Smoking Discrimination in the Workplace: On and Off the Clock," Lorman Education Services, live webinar, May 2013.
- "Employment-Related Records," Lorman Education Services, live seminar, Peoria, Illinois, May 2013.
- "Attorneys on Social Media," live webcast, West LegalEdcenter, December 2012.
- “Weight Loss At the Workplace: Legal Issues For Employers Seeking To Reduce Health Care Costs,” Lorman Education Services, webinar, September 2012.
- “Social Networking in the Workplace: Policies, Monitoring and Discipline Issues,” Lorman Education Services, live teleseminar, July 2012.
- "Ethical and Practical Tips for Cloud Computing and Social Media," CNA seminar "The Adaptable Lawyer," Peoria, Illinois, July 2012.
- “Weight Loss at the Workplace: Legal Issues for Employers Seeking to Reduce Healthcare Costs,” Lorman Education Services, live teleseminar, March 2012.
- “Social Networking in the Workplace: Policies, Monitoring and Discipline Issues,” Lorman Education Services, live teleseminar, August 2011.
- "Know The Law," "Documenting Your History," and "Building For the Future," CNA/Pearl Insurance seminar "Building a Solid Foundation: Managing Law Practice Risk," Peoria, Illinois, July 2010.
- "Weight Loss At The Workplace - Legal Issues For Employers Seeking To Reduce Healthcare Costs," Lorman Education Services, Peoria, Illinois, May 2010.
- "Social Media Policy for Business,” Peoria Chamber of Commerce’s six-part Social Media Series, Peoria, Illinois, April 2010 and October 2009.
- "Documenting Your History" and "Adapting to Technology" at the CNA / Pearl Insurance seminar, "Building a Solid Foundation: Managing Law Practice Risk," Peoria, Illinois, July 2009.
- "Recent Legal Malpractice Cases,” CNA Insurance seminar, “Packing Your Parachute: Preparing for Law Practice Risk,” Aurora, Illinois, September 2008 and Peoria, Illinois, July 2008.
- “Reducing the Risk of Litigation,” “Racial and Sexual Harassment Investigations,” and “Pre-Termination and Post-Termination Issues,” Lorman Education Services seminar “Employee Discipline and Discharge: How to Avoid Employment Litigation in Illinois,” Springfield, Illinois, August 2008.
- “Practical and Legal Issues of Employee Wellness Programs,” Lorman Education Services, East Peoria, Illinois, June 2008.
- “A Professional Responsibility Update,” IICLE’s Personal Injury Lawyer Update Program, Peoria, Illinois, June 2008.
- Co-chair, ”Real Estate Practice CLE Seminar,” Peoria County Bar Association, Peoria, Illinois, January 2008.
- “Top Eleven or More Real Estate Law Issues to Consider When Investing in Real Estate,” Central Illinois Investors Association, Morton, Illinois, July 2007.
- “Avoiding Legal Malpractice in Personal Injury Litigation,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education seminar, Springfield, Illinois, June 2007.
- “Evaluation of Business Losses,” Peoria County Bar Association Damages seminar, Peoria, Illinois, February 2007.
- “Defense Perspective on Claims Against Municipalities,” Illinois State Bar Association Tort Law Section seminar, “Claims Against Governmental Agencies/Tort Immunity,” Collinsville, Illinois, November 2006.
- "Summary judgment motion practice in the Central and Southern districts," Federal Civil Practice, the newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association's Section on Federal Civil Practice, Vol. 14, No. , February 2016.
- "In Re: Text Messaging Antitrust Litigation — Aircraft Check Services Co., et al., v. Verizon Wireless et al., No. 14-2301 (7th Cir. April 9, 2015)," Antitrust & Unfair Competition Law, the newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association’s Section on Antitrust & Unfair Competition Law, Vol. 53, No. 2, April 2015.
- "The Forum-Defendant Rule Bars Removal of Citation Action," Federal Civil Practice, the newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association's Section on Federal Civil Practice, Vol. 12, No. 1, September 2013.
- "Do You Represent Multiple Clients in the Same Matter?” The Quarter Hour®, a publication of Aon Affinity Insurance Services, Inc., Summer 2012.
- "FRCP 45 – The toolbox of discovery has pending amendments," Federal Civil Practice, the newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association's Section on Federal Civil Practice, Vol. 10, No. 3, March 2012.
- “Which Rule of Statutory Interpretation Applies to the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act?” The Federal Lawyer, August 2011.
- "Why You Might Use Stick Pins When Thinking About Statutory Coverage," Federal Civil Practice, the newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association's Section on Federal Civil Practice, Vol. 9, No. 2, December 2010.
- "Parley — Settlement or Something Else?" Illinois State Bar Association, Labor & Employment Newsletter, Vol. 48, No. 2, October 2010.
- “Before You Rush to File a Petition for Writ of Certiorari, You’d Better Think About a Stay,” Federal Civil Practice, the newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association's Section on Federal Civil Practice, Vol. 9, No. 1, September 2010.
- “The Unauthorized Practice of Law – Can It Impact My Business?” Peoria Area Association of Realtors® (PAAR), ENewsletter, May 6, 2010.
- “The Conflict Between State Law Doctrines Limiting the Liability of State and Local Governmental Entities and Federal Law on Standing,” co-author, Louisiana State Bar Association Bar Journal, April/May 2005.
- “Background Investigations and the Fair Credit Reporting Act,” co-author, “The Louisiana Labor Letter,” Volume IV, No. 7, July 1999.
- “Insurance Coverage for Environmental Liabilities,” Illinois Bar Journal, Vol. VII, 1989.
- March 25, 2013
- January 4, 2013
- September 12, 2012
- June 13, 2012
- Ambrose V. McCall Published in the Illinois State Bar Association's Federal Civil Practice NewsletterSeptember 13, 2011
- August 26, 2011
- February 12, 2011
- Are Employee Wellness Programs OK Under the ADA? EEOC Says Yes, But...
- Sixth Circuit Discusses ADA and Work Related Medical Exams Involving Psychological Issues
- Court Affirms Employer's Authority to Schedule Workweek under FLSA
- The Affordable Care Act’s Contraceptive Care Mandate Applies to Covered For-Profit Corporate Employers
- New Jersey Federal Court Finds that SCA Exception Applies to Facebook Posting Shared by Co-Employee
- Jury Issue Exists over Employment Termination Following Funeral Attendance Overseas
- U.S. Supreme Court Upholds Arbitrator’s Decision Finding that Contract Provides for Class Arbitration
- Seventh Circuit Clarifies how to mtet Injury Requirement of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
- 11th Circuit Affirms Denial of Temporary Reinstatement Sought By NLRB
- Second Circuit Clarifies Burdens of Proof in Sarbanes-Oxley Whistleblower Cases
- 11th Circuit Affirms Summary Judgment in ADEA case where Plaintiff used "Cat’s Paw" Theory
- 11th Circuit Overrules Summary Judgment in ADEA Case Based On Vice-President’s Reputed Statement
- Thirteen Month gap Between Protected Activity and Alleged Retaliation Leads To Summary Judgment For Employer
- Seventh Circuit Affirms Summary Judgment Against Illinois Eavesdropping Law Claim
- Seventh Circuit Explains the Burden of Proof Applied to Retaliation Claims
- Ninth Circuit: Employees do not Violate the CFFA when Violating Computer use Restrictions
- U.S. Supreme Court and State Legislatures Address Privacy Issues in the Workplace
- Seventh Circuit Affirms Summary Judgment for Employer in Reverse-Race Discrimination Case
Employment Law Observer
- May 1, 2015
- September 2, 2014
- August 1, 2014
- December 2, 2013
- November 1, 2013
- September 3, 2013
- July 1, 2013
- May 2, 2013
- April 1, 2013
- February 1, 2013
- January 3, 2013
- December 3, 2012
- November 1, 2012
- May 3, 2011
J.D., Case Western Reserve University, 1987
- Contributing Editor, Law Review, 1986-87
- Associate, Law Review, 1985-86
B.A., Indiana University, 1983, English
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois