Robert Wagner is a former general counsel and acting director of the Illinois Department of Insurance. He focuses his practice on national and international insurance regulatory and compliance law with an emphasis on transactions, complex litigation, insurance taxation, health reform, solvency and receiverships, and product approvals.
Since joining Hinshaw, Robert assists clients with the formation and development of provider-sponsored Medicare and Medicaid managed care risk-bearing entities, provider network regulatory issues, and physician/hospital contracting.
He has substantial experience representing payors in negotiating and contracting with pharmacy benefit managers and advises clients on examinations and regulatory compliance issues connected with the Affordable Care Act and health insurance exchanges. During his term at the Illinois Insurance Department, Robert served on NAIC committees and task forces responsible for the implementation of complex policy issues with national implications, including broker compensation, life settlement transactions, and life insurance claims practices.
Robert joined Hinshaw in 2012 and leverages his insurance industry experience to advance clients' business objectives. Much of his career has been devoted to public service. Previously, he worked in various capacities with the Illinois Department of Insurance, including roles as counsel, general counsel, and acting director. Previously, he served as general counsel for the Illinois Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan.
Robert began his legal career in 1981 with the Office of the Illinois Attorney General in Springfield, Illinois, where he became a litigation division chief in 1983. Later, he entered private practice in Springfield, Illinois, before moving to a Chicago-based firm. For a decade, Robert maintained his own practice, Robert E. Wagner and Associates.
Robert was also a Special Assistant Attorney General, representing the Illinois Insurance Department in a constitutional challenge to Illinois’ insurance taxation scheme.
Prior to his legal career, Robert was an instructor and assistant department chair at Berklee College of Music in Boston.
- "Health Care Reform: Business, Technology and Regulatory Developments," Hinshaw’s Annual Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2012
- "Life, Health, Disability and ERISA Claims," DRI, New York, New York, 2010
- "Impact of the Current Financial Crisis on State Insurance Regulation," American Conference Institute 5th Annual Conference, New York, New York, 2009
- "Life Settlements: A Regulatory Perspective," Federal Reserve Bank, Chicago, Illinois, 2007
- "Perspectives on Insurance Industry Changes," Insurance Forum, Chicago, Illinois, November 2006
- "Medical Malpractice Coverage: Current Issues," Illinois State Bar Association, Chicago, Illinois, April 2006
- "HIPAA Transactions and Code Sets," Central Illinois Health Underwriters, East Peoria, Illinois, February 2003
- Co-Author, "State Insurance Tax Differentials and Regulatory Objectives: A Constitutional Analysis," Journal of Insurance Regulation, March 1990
In his spare time, Bob likes to do a little jazz drumming.
J.D., University of Kentucky College of Law, 1981
B.S., Western Illinois University, 1974
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of Illinois