Robert J. Romero is an accomplished trial lawyer. Leveraging more than 30 years of experience, Robert defends the interests of his clients in complex commercial matters, directors and officers liability claims, insurance bad faith issues, intellectual property disputes, professional liability, and catastrophic loss cases. He regularly represents clients in pro hac vice in several states.
Committed to providing his clients with the best representation and ensuring understanding in the courtroom, Robert breaks down the complex and presents it in a thoughtful, understandable, and relatable manner—especially in jury trials. His demonstrated courtroom skill has led to several clients retaining him in disputes that cannot be resolved short of trial.
Much of Robert's practice is devoted to defending lawyers and law firms, securities and financial brokers, real estate, and other professionals. Robert's disciplined approach to a case—has led to a broad trial practice on behalf of Fortune 50 clients. Robert also serves as national counsel to several of Hinshaw's corporate clients, guiding in high-exposure, extra-contractual, and punitive exposure cases.
Robert is the partner-in-charge of the San Francisco office, and is also a member of Hinshaw's Management Committee, the firm's principal governing body. Prior to joining Hinshaw in 1998, he practiced law at a regional California firm. Robert also served as the Legislative Assistant to the Chairman of the California State Assembly Judiciary Committee.
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Judiciary Committee, Former Member
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Defense Research Institute
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society (PLUS)
Honors & Awards
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Northern California Super Lawyers magazine, 2006 – 2020, 2023
- Named a "Top 16 Rainmaker" in the United States, Minority Corporate Counsel Association's Diversity & The Bar, December 2008
- AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- In 2023, tried a fraud claim in the Los Angeles Superior Court for an international company.
- In 2021, tried a catastrophic loss case in the United States District Court.
- Successfully defended a national insurer in a breach of contract case arising out of sexual molestation case.
- Successfully defended an international insurer in advertising injury coverage claim stemming from trademark and patent litigation.
- Successfully defended disability insurer in ERISA matter alleging insurance bad faith.
- Obtained a $6 million dollar unanimous jury verdict in Alameda County, California, in favor of an international company that was affirmed at the Court of Appeal and satisfied, including over $1 million in post-judgment interest.
- Successfully defended a national insurer in a catastrophic bodily injury and property damage claim arising from the Ka Loko Dam break in Kuai, Hawaii.
- In 2019, successfully defended a multidistrict director and officer case arising out of the fracking, oil, and gas industry.
- Defended and counseled media and other clients in defamation and intellectual property disputes in California and New York.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a million-dollar fraud, negligence, and breach of contract lawsuit, venued in the San Mateo County Superior Court following a three-week trial. The case arose out of various allegations of professional negligence, misrepresentation and included a claim of punitive damages.
- In October 2012, successfully obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a large real estate brokerage in a fraud, breach of contract, and negligence claim following a two-week trial in Alameda County, California.
- Unanimous jury verdict in Los Angeles County in favor of an insurer sued for breach of contract and negligence.
- Verdict in San Mateo County in favor of National Real Estate Brokerage in fraud, breach of contract, and negligence case.
- Successfully defended international insurer in action filed in California and London, alleging bad faith and breach of contract. The case was affirmed by the California Court of Appeal.
- Verdict in favor of a San Francisco landowner in breach of contract case.
- Jury verdict in favor of law firm for professional negligence in the San Francisco Superior Court.
- Successfully defended design professional in a negligence claim arising from a multimillion underlying construction project.
- Unanimous jury verdict in Alameda County, California, in favor of an insurance agent and broker sued for negligence and insurance bad faith.
- Successfully defended a law firm in a malpractice allegation arising from a wrongful termination claim by an airline employee.
- Successfully defended a law firm in a malpractice allegation arising from the mishandling of underlying trademark and patent infringement claims.
- Successfully defended a law firm in a malpractice claim involving allegations of family law standard of care issues.
- Successfully defended an international financial institution in unfair business practices and fraud claims.
- Successfully defended a law firm against allegations of abuse of process and malicious prosecution.
- Moderator, "Voir Dire: The Art of Jury De-selection in a Legal Malpractice Case," LMRM Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 4, 2020
- "Direct Examination; Trial Objections," California Trial Advocacy 2016, San Francisco, California, August 3, 2016
- "Attorney-Client Privilege in House Counsel Environment," at the Twenty-Sixth Annual Association of California Insurance Companies (ACIC) General Counsel Seminar July 22, 2015
Robert's additional presentations include:
- "Hot Topics in Professional Liability, Medical and Products Liability Law," Markel Corporation
- "California Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations," Colony Insurance Company
- "Preparing Your Case for Trial, Including Motions in Limine/Deposition Designations," Practising Law Institute
- "Expert Witnesses—Can't Live With 'Em—Can't Live Without 'Em. Tips on the Use and Misuse of Experts in Bad Faith and Coverage Case," American Bar Association's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Meeting
- "Panel Discussion on Professional Development," American Bar Association Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity Spring Program
- "Insuring the Information Age," Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- "Is It OK to Be Wrong? Can an Insurer Avoid an Extra-Contractual Liability if its Position is Fairly Debatable?" Hinshaw's Insurance Services Symposium
- "Indemnity Agreements (Contract & Coverage Issues)," In-House Client Presentation
- "Beyond Bad-Faith and Non-Cooperation: Moving to an Appraisal-Centric Model for Resolving Property Damage Claims," American Bar Association's Litigation Section, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar
- "Recognizing and Avoiding the Enhanced Risk of Extra-Contractual Exposure," Hinshaw's Insurance Services Symposium
- "The Industry Responds to the Economic Storm," Hinshaw's Insurance Services Symposium
- "How Not to Respond to Catastrophic Loss," Hinshaw's Insurance Services Symposium
- "Litigating the 'Bad Faith' Claim," Hinshaw's Insurance Services Symposium
- "Electronic Discovery," Association of Minority Corporation Counsel's 2nd Annual Continuing Education Conference
- "Mock Trial," Association of Legal Administrators' National Conference
- "Cyber-Tort Liability," Annual International Professional Liability Underwriting Society Conference
- Editor, "Legal Malpractice: The Law Office Guide to Purchasing Legal Malpractice Insurance," West Group
- May 18, 2016
- March 10, 2016
- August 4, 2015Firm expands office space in one of San Francisco's premier addresses in the heart of the Financial District
- September 2, 2014
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP Announces Expansion of Phoenix Office with the Addition of Gordon & Rees' Former Phoenix Office Co-Managing PartnersMay 16, 2014
- March 11, 2014
- December 13, 2012
- Insurer Has Duty to Defend Where Complaint Against Insured Potentially Stated a Claim for Slogan InfringementNovember 16, 2010Insurance Coverage Alert
J.D., University of California Davis School of Law, 1988
B.A., California State University – Sacramento, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota